It's Over

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
It's over.

The emergency vet, they were very nice. The receptionist, the tech and the vet all said I could spend as long with her as I wanted. But at that point it was just drawing it out, so I did it immediately. It was very quick and very peaceful, very very peaceful.

I brought her home, I heard the boys will do better if they know she's dead, they won't spend months looking for her. As I was unscrewing the top of the carrier I swear I heard her meow twice. Not the soft pitiful meow she had all day today, her usual b***y meow. I brought the boys down, Midway sniffed twice and ran halfway up the stairs. Montressor sniffed for a very long time and then slunk away up the stairs. Both the boys were worked up, there was nearly a fight. Midway eventually came back down, by then I was putting the top on, he sniffed through the air holes, then gave the carrier a wide berth.

Shadow2.jpg
20170125_173517a.jpg

Roughly 2000 the only pets we had were hamsters. We lived on the second floor and had a deck roughly 10 feet by 10 feet. Some very industrious spider spun a web across the entire deck, and as I was standing in the doorway on the phone describing it I heard a cat meowing. A gray and white cat trotted up the stairs, trotted right on past me, trotted to my coffee table, lay down under it, and only then did she stop meowing. Meanwhile I was in shock that a cat walked by me and claimed my coffee table.

We checked with the SPCA shelter, all the local vets and the neighbors. No one was looking for her. Some of the neighbors thought she was already ours as she had been apparently hanging out near our door for a week. Someone heard that someone else had seen a cat and a kitten dumped, the kitten had been caught but the cat had disappeared. We assume that was her.

The vet looked at her teeth, said she looked to be three years old. She was a little underweight and had fleas and ear mites and a broken claw, not spayed, but was in very good health. The shelter said her chances for adoption were not good, so even though we weren't allowed pets (other than the hamsters) we simply hid her from the landlord.

She had been trained to stay out of bedrooms, but she would sleep in the hall in a way she could watch us. She had severe separation anxiety, really really bad. My solution was to get her a friend that wouldn't separate from her and brought home Montressor. It was hatred on sight. I didn't know the right way to introduce cats back then, I simply opened the carrier. She hissed, he growled. By the end of the day he'd walk up to her and give this high pitched friendly meow, she would hiss, and his meow would drop a couple of octaves as he got darn near on his belly. But literally instantly overnight the separation anxiety was gone.

They had their troubles, she never openly warmed up to him. I finally got him a playmate and by some miracle it worked out. But when we had a roommate with cats, if they looked like they were picking on Montressor, she'd charge them growling. Montressor was hers and hers alone to pick on. She even did that while still in the end stages of recovering from major surgery.

She had mammary cancer in 2009, surgical removal. It took four years to come back, 2013. Surgical removal then too. Last year another lump was found. I opted not to biopsy, but since it grew and a second one showed up and they felt the same, it was pretty much a guarantee that the mammary cancer was back. That's not what made her sick though. I opted not to find out what was going on and to start palliative treatment. At her age and with her having cancer, how much could her life be extended and at what cost? That was Friday, she got worse dramatically over the weekend, much faster than I think the vet expected.

I feel guilt in that I was the one that made a decision to end a life. But it was time. She was able to walk, she tried a weak protest over being in a car, but she was unhappy and suffering. She didn't even try to fight the vet tech taking her out of the room for catheter insertion or the vet holding her when she was brought back in. She didn't move, she didn't meow in protest.

And here's the kicker. I thought she was 18, I thought I got her 15 years ago. While looking for photos to add to this post, I found a date on the oldest picture I had of her. January 2001. She walked into our home during the summer months, which must have been 2000. With the three year age the vet gave her, that means she's 20 years old.

I hope everyone is right and there is a rainbow bridge. With lots of canned tuna and red light lasers, and alone time space for a cat that never stopped protesting the boys and never let us forget that she wanted to be an only cat.

Shadow, I love you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing Shadow - what a trooper she was, cancer survivor and all. King Solomon seemed to think that animals go to Heaven and he was the wisest man ever! You were wise to bring her home to allow the boys to grieve. Animals mourn, too. I admire your strength in giving her a dignified, easy passing. :angel:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you. I do agree that you did what you had to do, it would have drug on and on......there was no use having her suffer anymore if a cure is not possible. There is no cure for old age. The loneliness and emptiness that comes with them leaving is unbearable. Time is the only thing that helps. Thank you for being such a good family for her, she was in your life for a reason, it was meant to be. You were so blessed for knowing that sweet girl, your life was made richer because of it. The bond you have with her will be with you forever, I pray your memories of happier times can bring you comfort. I know she wouldn't want any of you to be so sad, try to bring love and happiness back to that broken heart, she would want that. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, give those two boys a kiss for me......RIP beautiful Shadow. There will never be another like you, you were an original that can never be matched. Please send what comfort you can to those you left behind, they miss you so terribly much. Sleep tight, little Princess!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I wished I could have figured out a way of doing was mammary tissue donation to a research facility. It's unheard of to remain cancer free for 4 years after developing mammary cancer, especially since there was only surgery, not chemo or radiation. And she did it twice. On top of that, the first lump was found last year, nearly exactly a year ago, I opted to do nothing at all, and the lumps were still pretty small, it should have metastasized and killed her a few months ago. I wonder if the slow progression of her mammary cancer could have helped research into helping cats enter remission.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At the end Shadow refused to eat and refused further forcefeeding, no? Its their way to say - its enough, its time... You did the right decision. Her soul is in full peace.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And I say again, Rest you gentle, pretty Shadow, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
The decline was so sudden, I went to work and things were stable, came home and they weren't. With the kind of attitude Shadow had, it was like she was saying, "You know, I was pretty happy just moving from one sleeping spot to the next, everyone leaving me alone. But no, you had to catch on to the fact that I was dying and you took me to the vet where I was poked with needles and had medicine shoved down my throat. And you're still shoving medicine down my throat now that we're home. That's it, this ain't cool, I'm done! Peace, bye, see you later, I'm outta here."

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss, she was beautiful, and you did a wonderful thing by taking her in all those years ago and for her to live 20 years was just spectacular! But it hurts to lose them no matter how many years, long or short, but she is fine now and onto the next life and doing well.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright:

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss, she was such a pretty cat. You did everything right. Rest in peace Shadow.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Shadow was absolutely beautiful and now she's a shining star in the sky, looking over you and Montressor and Midway. I'm sure she'll forever grateful for the wonderful life you gave her, despite the nasty medicines she had to swallow.
RIP Shadow!

Last edited by a moderator:

meelasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. 20 years though. That's a long time and a lifetime for you girl to be given the happiness and love she deserved!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Shadow was simply beautiful. RIP sweet girl. :angel:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a lovely place for every Creature in this Universe, a realm of dreams some call Rainbow Bridge. A peaceful step over the Frontier - that counts. When the time come, we would all appreciate a painless walk over the bridge. Whatever animals or humans - all. For humans in terminal phase, a final assistance is forbidden by law in most countries. But if one will take the time to ask the human in final pain what is his/her wish- you know the answer. But is forbidden for humans. At least we can help our friends - the Cats- to avoid pain and suffering.

Happy hunting, Shadow! Your Earthly Guardian observed her final duty, which is not easy. My respect.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shadow was a beautiful girl. Your last act was one of compassion pure love for her. RIP beautiful girl