It's my son's fault

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our illustrious son sent me a picture of their dinner last night. He made a huge pot of beef pot pie. He can cook quite well and he made the pot pie dough squares from scratch. Now Rick and I are starving for beef pot pie, but I don't have a chuck roast in the freezer, dang it.

Here's what I'm thinking: I took a London Broil out of the freezer to thaw. I'll marinate and roast the beef. While the beef is roasting, I'll caramelize the onions, throw in a bit of chopped celery and some garlic into a Dutch oven. I have some beef broth from the freezer to add to the Dutch oven and I can add a bit of red wine to the mix, too. Cook that, then add my potatoes to the kettle. Let them cook while I'm making my pot pie squares. And proceed that way. To serve, simply put some slices of the rare beef roast on the plate and top with potatoes and pot pie squares. I asked our son about it and he wasn't impressed. "Pot pie MUST be cooked with beef." I get that, but I don't have a chuck! And I'm not going to the store for a chuck. And after all, it's all about using what you have! Stay tuned. This could get ugly. And it's all DS's fault. He had to send me that picture!

I asked Rick about it; he doesn't care as long as he gets pot pie. And yeah, I could use chicken, but Rick likes beef.

I think this will work. Yeah, it's not beef pot pie as we know it, but hopefully it'll be OK. (Please let it be OK; I'll never hear the end of it if it's not.)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our illustrious son sent me a picture of their dinner last night. He made a huge pot of beef pot pie. He can cook quite well and he made the pot pie dough squares from scratch. Now Rick and I are starving for beef pot pie, but I don't have a chuck roast in the freezer, dang it.

Here's what I'm thinking: I took a London Broil out of the freezer to thaw. I'll marinate and roast the beef. While the beef is roasting, I'll caramelize the onions, throw in a bit of chopped celery and some garlic into a Dutch oven. I have some beef broth from the freezer to add to the Dutch oven and I can add a bit of red wine to the mix, too. Cook that, then add my potatoes to the kettle. Let them cook while I'm making my pot pie squares. And proceed that way. To serve, simply put some slices of the rare beef roast on the plate and top with potatoes and pot pie squares. I asked our son about it and he wasn't impressed. "Pot pie MUST be cooked with beef." I get that, but I don't have a chuck! And I'm not going to the store for a chuck. And after all, it's all about using what you have! Stay tuned. This could get ugly. And it's all DS's fault. He had to send me that picture!

I asked Rick about it; he doesn't care as long as he gets pot pie. And yeah, I could use chicken, but Rick likes beef.

I think this will work. Yeah, it's not beef pot pie as we know it, but hopefully it'll be OK. (Please let it be OK; I'll never hear the end of it if it's not.)
I'm not surprised that he can cook. He had you and Evelyn to teach him. I can't see it not being really good. That's what chefs would call a deconstructed pot pie and charge big bucks for it at a restaurant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
He really is a good cook and a good baker, too. He's been teaching our GD different things since they're home (well, he's not home, but is still working). She comes up from time to time and we go down there to visit and we always bake something together. She can make pizza dough, sticky buns, yeast rolls, etc. And cookies. Not completely by herself; our son still needs to hang out in the kitchen, in case she needs help. But she's doing well.

Here's my pot pie, it's just onions, celery, etc. with freezer beef broth and a good dollop of red wine. A few chunked potatoes into the mix. The pot pie square dough is rolled out and then cut with a pizza cutter. Then thrown into the pot of broth and simmered for about 25 minutes with the lid on. Some are thicker than others because that's the way we like them. I take the lid off during the last 5 minutes or so to dry them out a little bit. A good sprinkle of black pepper and parsley and it's ready.
March2020PotPieRESIZED.jpg

And here's the London broil. I did it for about 15 minutes on Grill in the Foodi Grill, to an internal temp of 130F and then tented and rested for 10 minutes, while the pot pie finished cooking. It was marinated for about 3 hours in the fridge, then left out on the counter for 30 minutes before grilling. I can't slice it as thinly as I want; I never could slice beef. Leftovers will be used for steak gyros with pickled onions (an old Sara Moulton recipe).
March2020LondonBroilRESIZED.jpg

Last edited: