It’s Freezing Outside What To Do?

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There’s a colony of ferals in my sub and im worry sick they wont make it in this weather. I wanted to DiY shelters but im sure my HOA wont let me put them out. I cranked my garage door and two used it every nite. I got a warning letter about closing the garage but i dont give a ( Expletives) What Can i do for the rest? Any way arpund this guys?

I feed them evrynight but noticed when it gets below 60 degree some of them didnt show. Cant ask any of the neighbors for help either. When i feed them in the common area they made mean remarks but i ignored them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put the shelters in your garage? If HOV still complains about the garage door maybe you could get some resin planters to set a couple of feet in front of the doors. That way no one can see the door is open. How oppressive those people are.

next, I'd start working on moving to the very edge of the HOV area and making a glorious cat hang out there. Be sure no small minded (all HOVs are small minded) own the land you buy.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you install a cat door into the garage door? I've never had one so do not know how you teach a cat to use it. But it would allow you to keep the garage door closed while still allowing the cats to go in and out (once they learn how.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I appreciate all the ideas. Cant really install a cat door. My HOA is a PITA. If I so much have a blade of grass landed on my drive way guess who would send me a letter in the mail? Yup, theyre are total jerks.

The colony although feed together, they often times split up. Two of the cats are smart enough to know where i live and spend the night in total comfort in the garage( I have have towels, water and food) The rest of the colony roam freely. They congregate in the common area around 8pm every nite cuz they know its feeding time. I swear they wear watches :)

Forgot to mention, this is in my sub so the HOA owns everything down to the mailboxes. Im really stumped.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take a look, or give a call, to alley cat allies. They may have encountered this before. Hang in there!!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
This is a tough situation...

My question for you: are you near any businesses?

If so, maybe one of them is sympathetic to cats and you could have the cats move to that property and help out there.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a friend who was in a similar situation with her HOA. She was able to lure the cats to her back deck. For winter shelter, she had a picnic table that she would cover with a patio furniture cover. She had it butt up against her sliding door. On the side by the sliding door, she left a hole for the cats. Under the table were 2 heated shelters, heated food and water bowls. She would just open her sliding door and feed them each morning. Since it's winter, no one notices.

Thank you for caring for this group. I do hope they have all been TNR'd. I'd worry if they weren't spayed/neutered as the size of the colony would grow very quickly. I would then guess the HOA would get involved to have the cats removed.

My friend was going to be evicted a few year ago. There were 8 she was feeding. All had been spayed/neutered. She just fed them and provided shelter in the winter. She had to get a lawyer. In the end, the lawyer was able to get 5 of the cats to be barn cats. She was able to keep the other 3. It was an awful battle.

Definitely involve Alley Cat Allies. They are well versed in this type of a matter.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im not too comfortable relocating the cats as theyre accustomed to our neighborhood. Some of them paired up like besties and i’d be sad if somehow they get seperated.

The plan is to TNR in the near future but i can only afford to get the females spayed. Already called around there’s a place that do it for free but the appointments are gone as soon as theyre released.

Will contact Alley when i get off today.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yikes!!!! Just caught the two that sleeps in my garage doing the nasties.

Thanks for the links!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, get those ladies spayed right away!

Are you allowed to have a deck box/bench? They usually look pretty nice and I think HOAs usually allow them. If so, you can cut a hole on the back side and fill it with straw, just be careful that nobody sees you fussing around with cat stuff in it, just pretend it has the normal deck box kind of stuff in it.

Something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Keter-Ed...MI_Pejlpjs4AIVUbjACh23SQIEEAQYASABEgLL8vD_BwE

or this: ://m.samsclub.com/ip/150-gal-deck-box/prod8340178?&source=ifpla&pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_1013571802&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=266139148238&wl4=aud-427505133026:pla-295725126929&wl5=9020331&wl6=&wl7=&wl9=pla&wl10=1247713&wl11=online&wl12={productid}&wl13=&wl15=56248216058&wl17=1o5&veh=sem&kclid=_kenshoo_clickid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Pejlpjs4AIVUbjACh23SQIEEAQYBSABEgLZ6_D_BwE

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Imma try to trap one more cat tonite and bring the nasties gang LOL to the vet tmrw. If not maybe this wkend when its a bit warmer.

The box bench is a great idea. Love it!
Sadly the Evil Empire , my HOA, wont allow it. They make regular rounds in my sub and would frown upon any additions to the front yard. Theyre total jerks and i dont have the votes to kick them out and get another HOA company.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Imma try to trap one more cat tonite and bring the nasties gang LOL to the vet tmrw. If not maybe this wkend when its a bit warmer.

The box bench is a great idea. Love it!
Sadly the Evil Empire , my HOA, wont allow it. They make regular rounds in my sub and would frown upon any additions to the front yard. Theyre total jerks and i dont have the votes to kick them out and get another HOA company.
Good luck! Please keep us updated.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you ever do manage to kick them out don't get another HOV, be free. Let everyone express themselves and discover who they really are.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there anything outside you're allowed to have? A backyard shed, a bench, potted flowers, anything at all? Most things can be turned into a cat shelter in disguise.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a ground floor room with a window you could convert into the feral room? The HOV probably can't tell you to keep your windows closed.

Landscaping rocks, frequently made of resin could be put near the window, a bush? Who are these terrible people? A little power seems to have totally gone to their heads. I'm sorry anyone should have to deal with them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I may have missed it somewhere above - but, is it at all possible that you have a side door to your garage that you could install a cat flap/door in? You could show the cats where it is with food right before and right inside the door, and then you could leave your actual garage door down. Also, may have missed it, but a lot of ferals will use a litterbox - so, you could have a couple in your garage?

Edited: Oops. I repeated another member's suggestion - sorry.

Last edited:

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I havent tried but i think the only thing they may let me get away with is a small planter.

I love the side door idea. I dont mind knocking out a small part of the wall but the neighbor to my right is a bunch of selfish tools. They’ll probably turn me in for violation. And the fam to my left is shady too. And directly across from me is Mr.BLEEP! Im surrounded by grade A folks LOL.