It's A Beautiful Day! - The Positive Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Very strange day as far as weather, e.g. severe storms, hail and wind gusts up to 55 mph. The sky goes from sunny to dark, dark gray. But I did what I had to earlier in the day to avoid driving in it and I'm resting comfortably with my favorite four-legged friend now. :catlove:

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it didn’t start very positively actually it was pretty horrible but ended great. Went to do laundry this morning and half the basement was really flooded. One window well was full of water almost to the top and leaking in everywhere. We are going through a HUGH melt accompanied by days of rain and I though it was just snow that had accumulated in the window well. Had to put on high waders and get through thigh high snow to get to the leaky window and spend ten minutes bailing it out. Came back in and moved and wet vac’d.

When I finished I looked up and could see the window well was filling back up again. It wasn’t snow accumulation, it was that the ground was so saturated it was running into the well. Got the snowblower out which wasn’t happy at all about trying to snow blow soggy snow and made a partial path so I could get to the window more easily and then shoveled a valley for the water to drain away from the house. Checked the window well when I finished and it was filled nearly to the top again. The water channel had made no difference, the well was full and the basement still flooding fast.

So then off to the hardware store looking for a solution. They sold me some water barrier thing that allowed me to basically channel the incoming water to a floor drain without the whole basement getting wet. But I was still stressing because I don’t know if this was a day or weeks problem and whether that water barrier stuff with hold. But at least I was containing the water, for now anyway

So, here is the good, actually beautiful part. I was eating dinner and fretting when I remembered that one of the things the previous owner left on a shelf was a small sump pump. I am not mechanically inclined and don’t know much about them except they suck up water. It has been sitting there for 15 years and maybe didn’t even work and it had no hoses or anything that I knew it needed. But in examining it, it looked to have an opening about the size of a garden hose. So I took the hose off the basement dehumidifier, tried it on the pump, and it fit! Now I just had to see if the thing work so I put water in the laundry tub, dropped it and darned if water didn’t spurt out of the hose. So then back outside to run an extension cord, set the pump in the window well and plug it in. Problem solved after a long long day. It will continue to drain the window well for as long as I need it.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Positive for tonight is I had Dominos pizza for dinner- vegetarian with Pineapple, Mushrooms, Green Peppers, and Onions for the toppings. I forgot to get Jalapenos, I'll get that next time. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Problem solved after a long long day. It will continue to drain the window well for as long as I need it.
YOU are completely awesome!!!
We maybe be having something of the same thing here - soggy snow, about a half inch of rain before the snow started yesterday, it's gonna be water everywhere!

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was it Mr. Rogers used to sing about it being a wonderful day in the neighborhood?....After days and days of clouds,rain,horrible gusty winds...the sun is out and the sky is so blue...in the 40's and a little windy...beautiful!Hubby went and did some shopping for me this morning and did a great job.Brought me home some beautiful heads of cabbage,red potatoes,onions,halos and stocked me up on some gorgeous corned beef for $2 a pound!My freezer just about overfloweth:)Can you see the happy dance?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every day I ask the girls if they want to say hello to sister (me texting her a pic of them). Sophie usually obliges- often reluctantly. Lilith? 9 times out of 10 she turns her back on me as soon as she sees the camera. Yesterday when I got home, Sophie was being very playful. She wanted lots of pets and attention which I happily gave her. Then I asked her if she wanted to say hi to sister. This is what I got

57436302331__21ED6962-8F7A-4324-89B4-1375E8B79964.JPG

She stuck her face right in the camera. I told DD that she REALLY wanted to say hello!

Then I was snuggling with my cuddle bug Lilith. If I'm in my room, she wants to snuggle and I get yelled at if I don't get into cuddle position fast enough. I asked her to say hello to sister and she must have been feeling generous because I got this

57438266637__0DC03C25-3624-42CA-A7BD-0B2950FAA142.JPG

"OK. Fine. HELLO! Can we cuddle now?"

:lol: :cloud9: :redheartpump::redheartpump:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The sun is out :sunshine:and Spring is almost here :clap: Spring officially starts this coming Wednesday :yess: It's not as warm today as it was yesterday. I'm hoping it warms up (and stays warm) soon so I can swap out my heavy insulated curtains for the light mesh-y ones.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Every day I ask the girls if they want to say hello to sister (me texting her a pic of them). Sophie usually obliges- often reluctantly. Lilith? 9 times out of 10 she turns her back on me as soon as she sees the camera. Yesterday when I got home, Sophie was being very playful. She wanted lots of pets and attention which I happily gave her. Then I asked her if she wanted to say hi to sister. This is what I got

View attachment 277597

She stuck her face right in the camera. I told DD that she REALLY wanted to say hello!

Then I was snuggling with my cuddle bug Lilith. If I'm in my room, she wants to snuggle and I get yelled at if I don't get into cuddle position fast enough. I asked her to say hello to sister and she must have been feeling generous because I got this

View attachment 277598

"OK. Fine. HELLO! Can we cuddle now?"

:lol: :cloud9: :redheartpump::redheartpump:
Are they biologically related?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are they biologically related?
Yes they are. I'm not exactly sure how though. Lilith might be Sophie's mother. I know she's had a litter of kittens (according to the vet that spayed her) and Sophie has not. Sophie may be one of those kittens. They have the same face.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Happy St. Patrick's Day! :clover: The the river here was dyed green and the sun was out all day. Nice weather for a celebration. :beerchug:

Status
Not open for further replies.