Itraconazole For Ringworm Treatment (alt. forms)

FelineFine79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone! It was Bunnelina’s ringworm 2010 post that brought me to this forum and lo and behold, we are dealing with ringworm again. The first time was w/ a foster with FIP in April. In addition to furiously working to decontaminate our home, we are also treating our newly adopted, almost adult cats (they are brothers) systemically with Itraconazole which has to be the most viscous substance in the world and is especially hard to plunge into your squirming *grown kitten’s* mouth with hands that are already hurting from all the cleaning. Has anyone had luck with the pill form? We’re in the SF Bay Area.

About the cleaning: We looked into professional biohazard cleaners and their costs ranged from $2350 to $5000. Most of the work has been clearing and truck loads of laundering. The kittens have been here since 6/12/21 and the vets think that they had not fully cleared it while in foster care which was a cat boarding facility with open cages, just mesh as barriers. I would never adopt again knowing that the cats ever had ringworm And rescues, try as they may, too often don’t do a thorough job of making sure kitties are 100% before adopting them out. And it’s just a hard disease to manage with multiple animals. We have 5, so we understand.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried putting it in their food? I read that it should be given with food (at least the capsule form) You might ask your Vet about that to be sure. I also read that it's best with a high fat food, oddly enough. Also, did you know it comes in a tasty chew form, even the low 25 mg dose? You can check it out here: Itraconazole Chew Treat

You might also ask your Vet if you get the pill version vs capsule if you can crush it and put in their food. That way it's pretty much hands free for your sore hands.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this AGAIN. We still refer to your L O N G thread from years ago when people are having ringworm issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FelineFine79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mrs. Green Jeens, thanks for this! I will be asking my vet tomorrow. To clarify, I also have benefitted from Bunnelina’s post. I’m new to TCS. Thanks again and all the best to you.

OllieBoy99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Sorry to hear that you are dealing with ring worm again. We had to deal with our new kitten having ringworm as well just last week. We were out on liquid terbinafine for 3 weeks and just for rechecked via PCR 4 days again so now we are just waiting for results.
As for the pills, maybe you can crush them into smaller pieces and use a squeeze treat Or baby food to cover it? My kitten absolutely loves them and honestly if I had to give him a pill, I don’t think he will even notice.
For 4-5 weeks we have been deep cleaning the room he was in with either diluted bleach or accelerated hydrogen peroxide. His fur started to grow back within the first week of treatment. I also used medical shampoo by nootie that has 2% chlorhexidine and miconazole. Here’s a awesome article Bout ringworm and the various medications used and cleaning regimens. I found it to be very helpful. If the link doesn’t work the name of the research article is Diagnosis and treatment of dermatophytosis in dogs and cats written by karen Moriello

Error - Cookies Turned Off