Itchy Indoor Cat

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All!
So my almost 1 year old long haired kitty Romeo is itching nonstop. Both he and my other 1 yr old have monthly Revolution treatment. I’ve never seen a flea. The other cat doesn’t itch. I’m starting to get concerned for Romeo. We went to the vet about 3 months ago bc the whites of his eyes were showing a little bit and we were given an antiviral medication which I’m not sure helped, and to continue powdered lysine. Absolutely nothing has changed in Romeo or my other cat’s diet for almost a year. Could he be allergic to the dry food? They both get easy digestion Whole Hearted in the morning along with a little fancy feast—at night, as well. I’m avoiding the vet for right now bc the last visit didn’t go well and it was extremely traumatic for him (I had to do a hand off and he couldn’t see me due to Covid.). It was a heartbreaking ride home. They’ll also be due for their 1 yr checkup soon. I was hoping to see if a home remedy could help for the time being. I use fragrance and dust free litter and sensitive skin detergent. Any suggestions? Looking for support here, so please be kind. Thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a sensitivity to something in the food. Or maybe an allergic reaction to Revolution. You can stop the Revolution for a month or two to see if that helps. Many people feel that indoor only cats don't need a parasite preventative. If the itching continues, you could do a food trial for around 13 weeks or so. A limited ingredient novel protein food is helpful. Can you feed more canned food than dry? Dry food is often full of fillers and junk that cause reactions in cats.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could also be environmental allergies that are causing him to itch. Pollen, that sort of thing. You might simply CALL your Vet and ask if it's ok to give him allergy meds. our Vet suggested we give our guy Children's Benedryl. I know some people give benedryl, some give claratin, some give zyrtec, but your Vet can guide you as to the amount, etc., IF they think it might be feasible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be a sensitivity to something in the food. Or maybe an allergic reaction to Revolution. You can stop the Revolution for a month or two to see if that helps. Many people feel that indoor only cats don't need a parasite preventative. If the itching continues, you could do a food trial for around 13 weeks or so. A limited ingredient novel protein food is helpful. Can you feed more canned food than dry? Dry food is often full of fillers and junk that cause reactions in cats.
Yes, I don’t mind stopping the dry food for awhile. It just seems this came on months after they’d been eating this food. I was just reading about limited basic foods for them. I only give them a small amount of the dry food bc I know it’s not great for them and can also dehydrate them.
Our vet recommended the Revolution even though they were indoor cats— I never had an issue with fleas with my last cat of 16 years but that’s what was recommended. It did cross my mind it could be that causing the reaction. Thank you for your help! I’m definitely going to look into both of them! 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could also be environmental allergies that are causing him to itch. Pollen, that sort of thing. You might simply CALL your Vet and ask if it's ok to give him allergy meds. our Vet suggested we give our guy Children's Benedryl. I know some people give benedryl, some give claratin, some give zyrtec, but your Vet can guide you as to the amount, etc., IF they think it might be feasible.
Yes, I think I am going to call. Thank you!!