Itchy head despite treatment

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello! Musiaka has been scratching his head a lot lately, so I took him to the vet who diagnosed ear mites (although strangely she only found bits and pieces of ear mites). Musiaka had his ears cleaned, some liquid poured on the back of his head and Mitex drops for home treatment.

We have almost completed the 2 weeks course at home and at first it looked like it's taking effect, but he has recently went back to scratching vigorously again. This time mostly under his chin. The vet told me to rub Mitex on top of his ears as well, and I've been doing that, but I cannot use it for the chin area due to scratch sores. I don't understand - have the mites migrated to another part of his body? He used to scratch his head and under the ears before the treatment. First week of the treatment he didn't scratch at all...

Otherwise he is losing his underfur (I'm brushing him daily) and it's super hot in my apartment due to central heating which cannot be regulated. Wondering if it has to do with anything. He started having dandruff as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The dry, heated air in your apartment could be the culprit, especially since you mentioned that and the dandruff. You could try getting a humidifier or two for the apartment, and buying some Omega-3 oils to add to your cat's food.

Ear mites can spread to other parts of a cat's body, so I would call the vet and ask them what else you can do for treatment on the chance they have spread.