Itchy Boy Now Infecting Others. Ringworm? Yeast? Food Allergy?

kendallarae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Friends!

This is a long story that i'm going to try to shorten it as much as possible.

In June, a very skinny orange cat (now named June) showed up on our farm. We took him to the vet and dealt with his various infections, got him fixed, etc. He has always been very itchy and regularly has sores on his face from scratching and over cleaning. Two months later, he got outside for a few hours - once he came back in he spent the next few days vomiting, his body turned red and covered in hives. We took him to the vet and he spent two nights there receiving steroid shots. The vet thought it was a food allergy, so he now eats a limited ingredient rabbit/pea food. Our guess was that he got stung by something. Hes finally gaining weight, but hes still incredibly itchy and has a serious pica-like obsession with licking anything cast iron or metal.

In the past two weeks my husband and one of my dogs are both showing signs of ringworm.

This morning, we noticed a dry white patch on our dilute calico cats ear (Bistro). June had similar white ear patches a week or so after his stay at the vet. I put some ringworm cream on her ear to see if it will help. If that's what it is, June must have it on his entire body.

We've been to the vet countless times with this cat and have put in a call about this episode as well. At this point, i'm leaning towards ringworm or maybe a yeast infection. There are no signs of fleas in the house.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated.
The pictures included - Bistro's ear from this morning and June from when he had his overnight vet stays.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that your cats are itchy. I'm not a vet, but I agree with your assessment; I think that ringworm is a possibility, especially since it seems to be spreading between cats. I think that taking them back to the vet would be a good call.

I'll attach some articles; one about skin conditions in cats, in general, and then another specifically about ringworm, in case that is what this ends up being.

Skin Conditions In Cats

Ringworm In Cats: How To Win The Fight

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh so sorry that your cats are having this. If it is ringworm, it is nasty and will take some time medicating. My Barley once had that.

Check also for earmites with the vet. That one is also equally nasty.