Itching, irritated pink skin, and overgrooming -- food/litter allergy!?

merbunne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!! Long time lurker and first time poster.

I am a new cat owner to my lovely siamese mix named Bowie. He is 7 months old and an amazing kitty! I adopted him about a month ago in perfect health and he is currently up to date on all vaccinations, fixed, the works. Unfortunately, we've since had a bit of a snag in his clean bill of health.

I woke up Monday morning to find Bowie had peed outside of his box, something he has never done before. He is usually VERY good about the box so I attributed it to maybe I forgot to scoop the night before and he was letting me know it was not up to his standards (y'know, cats, lol). I went to work as usual and visited him on my lunch break about 4 hours later. Still doing fine. I came home at the end of my shift another 4 hours later to find he had puked up some undigested food and started to go into a panic. I also noticed he had some distinct hair thinning just above his eyes and some irritated pink/reddish skin underneath -- basically the motion of a cat rubbing its face with its paw was the trail of hair loss/irritated skin. In addition, I noticed a lot of overgrooming while I was up with him before bed, mostly on his face and front paws but also still grooming elsewhere on his body. He was still eating, drinking, playing/friendly and using his box, however, so after a quick call to the vet we decided to wait until the morning to take him in.

I took him this morning and they've ruled out ear mites (she said his ears were great) and didn't see any signs of fleas. At this point we're at a bit of a loss and have narrowed it to two potential things: a food allergy (apparently common in Siamese breeds?) or a litter allergy. I was convinced to switch his litter a few weeks ago (from one Tidy Cats brand to a different Tidy Cats, oddly enough) and he's been eating the same kitten food (Hill's Science Diet Kitten Food) since before I adopted him. I was given a complimentary dose of Revolution just in case (he is due anyhow) and prescribed some anti-inflammatories to help with the itching/redness/his comfort level. The vet told me to watch him and start by switching back to his old litter (since he is also chewing on his paws) and see how that goes, but if it's food I think I'm in for a very long process of ruling out what could be bothering him. I'm a little nervous about having to do these "food trials" as I'm not really sure where to begin. I just don't want him to be so itchy, poor thing! I have attached a pic comparing his face a few days ago (left) and last night/currently (right). It's a little tough to see in the light but he has lost some hair and you can definitely see the pink even in the low-quality photo.

Have any of you dealt with food allergies, skin irritation, or really anything relatedI'm talking about? I am grateful for any and all advice! I'm such a nervous cat mom that I try to get as much information as possible, which only makes me more anxious sometimes! But hearing from those who are real cat owners always gives me peace of mind. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Hang in there first with getting back to the litter he was using, but in all honesty this sounds like it could be entirely different.

Are you sure he didn't accidentally get into something chemical in the house? Is there construction with new paint and glues going on near to you where the fumes are coming into his living area? Did somebody spray for bugs nearby? Anything at all like this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merbunne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Hang in there first with getting back to the litter he was using, but in all honesty this sounds like it could be entirely different.

Are you sure he didn't accidentally get into something chemical in the house? Is there construction with new paint and glues going on near to you where the fumes are coming into his living area? Did somebody spray for bugs nearby? Anything at all like this?
Thank you! :)

I have to wonder if this could be the cause. He really isn't a destructive cat and I keep cleaning supplies stored away from where he roams but there has been construction on our property recently. It wasn't right next to us but maybe close enough? He is indoor only but you never know what could seep in even with a quick open and close of the door.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You've come to a great place! :welcomesign:The lovely folks here helped me with my food trials. (And many other things!)

I have a Siamese as well. His name is Charlie. He has Asthma and food allergies (plus other stuffs) and as I have learned those two things are common with Siamese.

Puking up food reminds me when Charlie does a "Scarf and barf" - eating too fast.

If you need to go on food trial, honestly, it's not too bad as long as you can get them to try new food (something my Charlie does not do easily at all unfortunately which made it REALLY hard for both of us). 12 weeks on a LID (limited ingredient diet) with a protein and carb that Bowie has never had before. No treats :-( Unless they are of the same protein that is brand new to him.

Charlie wasn't the face, it was his hind legs. After finally getting him exposed to a protein etc that he had never had before - his hind legs have healed and the problem has not returned. The trick was finding the trigger. In his case we suspect it was Chicken or Turkey - or both. The only way I will ever know for sure is to start adding one of those back in and see what happens. I haven't the heart to do that yet.

If His Royal Majesty Charlie and I can do this - you can do this. :heartshape:Ask anything - I'll do my best to help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...not to hijack, but my angel heart kitty from way back was a fabulous, awesome and completely bonkersly wonderful meezer. How the HECK I missed that Charlie's a Siamese I have no idea!!

merbunne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! You've come to a great place! :welcomesign:The lovely folks here helped me with my food trials. (And many other things!)

I have a Siamese as well. His name is Charlie. He has Asthma and food allergies (plus other stuffs) and as I have learned those two things are common with Siamese.

Puking up food reminds me when Charlie does a "Scarf and barf" - eating too fast.

If you need to go on food trial, honestly, it's not too bad as long as you can get them to try new food (something my Charlie does not do easily at all unfortunately which made it REALLY hard for both of us). 12 weeks on a LID (limited ingredient diet) with a protein and carb that Bowie has never had before. No treats :-( Unless they are of the same protein that is brand new to him.

Charlie wasn't the face, it was his hind legs. After finally getting him exposed to a protein etc that he had never had before - his hind legs have healed and the problem has not returned. The trick was finding the trigger. In his case we suspect it was Chicken or Turkey - or both. The only way I will ever know for sure is to start adding one of those back in and see what happens. I haven't the heart to do that yet.

If His Royal Majesty Charlie and I can do this - you can do this. :heartshape:Ask anything - I'll do my best to help.
You are so sweet, thank you!! Charlie sounds wonderful. :) I'm glad you've had some luck figuring out his trigger -- the food Bowie eats at the moment has chicken as the main protein so perhaps that may be what is ailing him. I am definitely trying the litter first and hope that that and a round of anti-inflams helps us out. If not, onto the food. At least he is still as goofy and playful as ever.

One more thing - about the peeing outside the litter. Did the Vet check his Urine? Is Bowie constipated at all?

PS - He's beautiful!!!!
I brought a stool sample with me and they're going to get back to me on how it looks in the next day or so. He's been peeing and pooing normally!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...not to hijack, but my angel heart kitty from way back was a fabulous, awesome and completely bonkersly wonderful meezer. How the HECK I missed that Charlie's a Siamese I have no idea!!
I think this is why he's so stubborn and yup out-of-his-mind bonkers lol but lovely. It's a Siamese trait I think!

You are so sweet, thank you!! Charlie sounds wonderful. :) I'm glad you've had some luck figuring out his trigger -- the food Bowie eats at the moment has chicken as the main protein so perhaps that may be what is ailing him. I am definitely trying the litter first and hope that that and a round of anti-inflams helps us out. If not, onto the food. At least he is still as goofy and playful as ever.

I brought a stool sample with me and they're going to get back to me on how it looks in the next day or so. He's been peeing and pooing normally!
You're welcome. Charlie is wonderful - thankyou - also stark raving insane. Part of his charms. lol

We started with the litter too. I hope in your case, it is the litter as it's the easiest solution with the least amount of worry. If it is food, don't sweat it. We can all work with you on that too so it's not so daunting.

Chicken seems to be a big one is kitties with allergies. It's everywhere. Like I mean everywhere!

Good that e's playful and goofy! Always a good sign!

YAY normal pees and poops! Hopefully, the Vet comes back with an all-clear for you on that.

And thank you!!! He is handsome and beloved by all he's met, even my Dad who is not what you'd call a cat person. ;)
Bowie is a charmer, yup. Good job Bowie! :heartshape:

merbunne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just as an update... woke up to some more vomit on the carpet this morning. No blood or food in it, just looks brown to me. He seems otherwise fine -- he's hanging out and playing as usual. I'm wondering if it IS his food if he's still vomiting or maybe stress from the irritation on his skin? His skin does look better though, like he's been itching less at it.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty. It could be is food. At this stage, it's monitoring, following the vet's advice and keeping track of stuff.

It sucks though. The whole wait, watch, try, rinse and repeat.

But... Bowie is playing. Probably looking at us all like "tra-la-la - what? - I tossed my cookies a bit. Tra-la-la back to playing I go"

I'm glad the skin is looking better. Keep in mind with allergies they can improve and reappear - it's a bit of a yo-yo. So don't be too shocked if that happens. Very glad he's less irritated though.

:-)

merbunne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys!!! :) Team Bowie is strong!

I am a "fixer" by nature so of course I'm already wanting to move onto the next steps but at this point I should just be watching and waiting, right? The vet hadn't advised a followup unless I felt I needed it and though I think they did their best, they didn't really leave me feeling too confident. I'd like to start trying different food with him (or at least eliminating chicken, which I suspect could be the issue) but is there kitten food out there without chicken? Or should I just be doing homemade until I know exactly what it is?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could look at All Life Stages foods, that could give you a broader range of protein ingredients.

This database might be a little out of date (I don't know if the owners are maintaining it) but it would give you a starting point where you could then just double-check the actual product before you buy.

Types of "Shredded" (chicken free) Wet food for picky cat?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys!!! :) Team Bowie is strong!

I am a "fixer" by nature so of course I'm already wanting to move onto the next steps but at this point I should just be watching and waiting, right? The vet hadn't advised a followup unless I felt I needed it and though I think they did their best, they didn't really leave me feeling too confident. I'd like to start trying different food with him (or at least eliminating chicken, which I suspect could be the issue) but is there kitten food out there without chicken? Or should I just be doing homemade until I know exactly what it is?
:-)

Yup. I totally get that...but in this case, you have to be patient with yourself. This is not a quick fix - but it is a long term fix, so that's the good thing.

Yes, this is the watching and waiting phase. If something changes or Bowie starts tossing his cookies daily, you shouldn't need another Vet visit yet. (Changes to barfing daily etc - then of course back to the vet he'll have to go.)

I understand what you mean about leaving you feeling not confident. I think Vets see allergies so often it's not a big deal to them and they sometimes gloss over details forgetting that while this might be their 100th time diagnosing an allergy - it might be our first and we need details of what to do. That's very frustrating but forgivable imho.

The thing I loathe about that though is that chronic inflammation can cause other illnesses - in people and animals. So it's important to get rid of the inflammation. People DR's and DVM's sometimes forget the importance of removing that inflammation and allergies to foods etc cause .... you got it, inflammation.

Don't be afraid to try different foods... but.. honestly do one thing at a time. It's the only way you'll sort of the real trigger. So finish the litter trial first IMHO. Remembering that he's got some anti-inflammatories in him so... that will delay things a bit.

Is bowie on dry or wet or both?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to join in and add something...

Don't forget that some symptoms coming from different things could just be happening simultaneously and not necessarily be connected. That is, he could be having both some type of ectoparasite issue on the skin but also be having a separate food issue or, alternatively, a stress issue. I think I would wait on the fecal sample results (any signs of parasites, etc.), and also wait a few weeks to see how much the anti-inflams and Revolution might help with the itchiness. It will be hard to tell if it was the anti-inflammatories or the Revolution that would have helped with the skin issues, since you gave both at the same time -- but it's a start. Monitor the food/ vomiting and definitely if that continues or increases, it is back to the vet sooner than later.

merbunne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't be afraid to try different foods... but.. honestly do one thing at a time. It's the only way you'll sort of the real trigger. So finish the litter trial first IMHO. Remembering that he's got some anti-inflammatories in him so... that will delay things a bit.

Is bowie on dry or wet or both?
Good point!! Litter is first tonight and hopefully a different kind of food over the weekend. For now I am trying to give smaller portions over a more frequent period to limit his irritation/potential vomit. While I don't free feed he usually does graze when I put it down (I try not to take it away if I see he has some left he wants to come back to) and when he chooses to eat I feel like he's gobbling it up fast.

So far he is dry only but I've wanted to add in wet for moisture/fluid intake.

I just want to join in and add something...

Don't forget that some symptoms coming from different things could just be happening simultaneously and not necessarily be connected. That is, he could be having both some type of ectoparasite issue on the skin but also be having a separate food issue or, alternatively, a stress issue. I think I would wait on the fecal sample results (any signs of parasites, etc.), and also wait a few weeks to see how much the anti-inflams and Revolution might help with the itchiness. It will be hard to tell if it was the anti-inflammatories or the Revolution that would have helped with the skin issues, since you gave both at the same time -- but it's a start. Monitor the food/ vomiting and definitely if that continues or increases, it is back to the vet sooner than later.
Funny enough the vet just called -- no sign of parasites, giardia, etc! Which definitely makes me feel so much better.

I actually just was able to get his anti-inflamm this morning but had to go right to work. I also have not administered the Revolution yet as he still has a few days before he's "due," but would you recommend waiting on that and trying the anti-inflamm first?