Itching from Advantage II?

B4G2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all-

Recently I had a bad situation, in which my roommate’s cats infected mine with fleas, poor thing. I used Adam’s Flea and Tick to not avail, and Frontline didn’t work either. Finally Advantage II seemed to do the job. We are out of that living situation (thank goodness), and I haven’t seen a flea. My cat does seem itchy- not the frantic itchy he had with fleas, but now I’m kind of paranoid. I’ve brushed him and come up with no fleas, and haven’t seen any. I decided to stop the Advantage II because:
-it’s super expensive
-most importantly, I think it’s making my cat’s skin itch.
Has anyone else experienced this? How do I know the fleas are gone for good?

Help! Thanks in advance!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe both Frontline and Advantage don't get into the bloodstream for fleas and work on the surface of the skin. IME they tend to be not as strong and longlasting as the ones that do get in the bloodstream like Stronghold (the USA name is Revolution). If you see fleas again, discuss with the vet if it's OK to use Stronghold instead.

Itchiness might be a side effect to Advantage but it's also possible there are still fleas. Or it could be both at the same time.

Fleas don't all live on the cat but they also live in the house on other surfaces and sometimes jump on the cat to bite. Also IME, not-adult fleas are too difficult to see if they are not in large numbers, and don't give out as severe symptoms, but still cause some itching and other problems for the pet. And of course they grow up over time. Where I live in the winter there are not adult fleas but still some small ones. With my own cat who hangs out, I understand she caught one (or more) when she shakes her head occasionally, scratches her ears and chin, and does more grooming around the tail and belly the same day(s) - it stops when I do the spot-on treatment. But the itchiness isn't nearly as bad or frequent as the time she had adult fleas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have been using Advantage II on Feeby (and two previous cats, at varying points in time of their lives) with no side effects that I know of. The only itching Feeby does is if fleas that still find a way to get on her and bite her before they die. Check the active ingredients in other similar products and try one that doesn't contain the same ones, just in case it does have to do with the ingredients. Also, read up on any of the flea products you might consider to ensure you know the ingredients, how they work (into the bloodstream vs. in the sebaceous glands [Adv II], as well as what side effects have been reported/recorded.

Also, when you comb her (with a flea comb, not an actual brush which might not actually 'catch' the fleas) even if you don't see adult fleas, do you find any flea dirt on her (teeny, tiny black dots)? If so, that is a sign that fleas are still present somewhere, as that is flea dirt. If you didn't treat your entire house to remove flea eggs/larvae, you could possibly never get rid of them entirely - especially if they are in your yard or you carry them in from an outside source. People who live in apartments can also have a harder time getting rid of fleas, if their neighbors have them.
FleaScience

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

B4G2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! I did another round of Advantage II and Gideon’s itching seems to have calmed down a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

B4G2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have been using Advantage II on Feeby (and two previous cats, at varying points in time of their lives) with no side effects that I know of. The only itching Feeby does is if fleas that still find a way to get on her and bite her before they die. Check the active ingredients in other similar products and try one that doesn't contain the same ones, just in case it does have to do with the ingredients. Also, read up on any of the flea products you might consider to ensure you know the ingredients, how they work (into the bloodstream vs. in the sebaceous glands [Adv II], as well as what side effects have been reported/recorded.

Also, when you comb her (with a flea comb, not an actual brush which might not actually 'catch' the fleas) even if you don't see adult fleas, do you find any flea dirt on her (teeny, tiny black dots)? If so, that is a sign that fleas are still present somewhere, as that is flea dirt. If you didn't treat your entire house to remove flea eggs/larvae, you could possibly never get rid of them entirely - especially if they are in your yard or you carry them in from an outside source. People who live in apartments can also have a harder time getting rid of fleas, if their neighbors have them.
FleaScience
Thanks! No flea dirt- I’ve been keeping an eye out for it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will also vouch for Revolution above all else. For expense purposes you can buy the large size dog Revolution and dose it down to treat your cats over a few months. That is the most cost effective really.

But you need to treat a few consecutive months for the best results. More fleas will just hatch and if you only treat 1 month, they will jump right back on next month. Flea eggs and larvae can also live in your home for months, dormant, and then you could see another round later on. Either Revolution Plus specifically for cats (it does heartworm also!) or dog Revolution dosed down. I can provide the dosages if you are interested.

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your vet can provide relief for the itchiness symptom your cat experienced. Prescription oral, injectable, and topical spray treatments are very effective to help with flea allergy dermatitis secondary to flea infestation/bites.

Rotating parasiticides, specific to this case, insecticides (i.e. Advantage, Revolution, Catego) is recommended by entomologists to control any pest species, including the flea. Every population has susceptible individuals, and resistant individuals. Usually, the resistant individuals are rare. Not in an environment repeatedly exposed to a single insecticide for years. That environment has a large existing population of individuals with resistant mutation, multiplying from the small percentage population that was never susceptible for years, that survived each application of the single insecticide, without introducing or rotating in any other insecticide. Some vets recommend a program of Revolution, with Catego or Advantage in alternating months. Interceptor, Heartgard, or Centragard can be administered for heartworm/intestinal worms the months Catego/Advantage are used. Discuss using more than one "monthly" topical with your vet; giving a topical 2 weeks apart from a different one is an option to provide adequate time for sebaceous glands of the skin to absorb the previous topical 2 weeks prior, without interfering with the 2nd topical med per feline shelter practitioners and feline specialty vets helping manage resistant populations in cats.

Fleas are the intermediate host for tapeworms, so treating these are important to managing feline parasites, also. Centragard and Profender are topical treatments you can ask your vet about; Drontal and Bayer Tapeworm Dewormer (praziquantel) are oral options, bitter, yet effective once pilled and swallowed.

Environmental treatment is very important to control a flea population. Indoor and outdoor control options for where your pet frequents, and where wildlife deposit eggs. MSU lists interior and exterior products in Table 2 and 3 respectively on this page. Control Fleas on Your Pet, in Your House, and in Your Yard | Mississippi State University Extension Service
Sevin dust is mammal and bird safe for the exterior. Food grade diatomaceous earth is an indoor option; be aware of cat ingestion during grooming can lead to fecal impaction if absorbed in excess.

Consistent application, and your persistence, are key. Good luck in your flea battle!