Italian Organic Cat Food In Dollar Store

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No artificial flavor/color, no meat meal. Two of the 3 flavors are made of organic materials. I can't find information online (English only as I can't read Italian).

Attachments

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried to do a google search for reviews and complaints - none offered. For who makes Pet Select - not given. Every time I put Pet Select in I was offered Freshpet info - there is NO reason to think that Pet Select is a form of Freshpet. When I put Dollar store I got Family dollar website with all the pet food they offered, and Dollar Tree, but no one claimed to have Pet Select.

Okay, I see the company that makes the food is Dollarama which is a Canadian Dollar store type company that seems to have recently expanded into the pet food market here is a review PIJAC Canada: Pet Food in Discount Retail: Canada’s Dollarama Bets on Consumers Enjoying Bargain Shopping If the addy doesn't work google PIJAC Canada.

another forum http://forums.redflagdeals.com/safe-eat-food-dollarama-1509887/2/ remarked that in 2014 Dolarama was still sourcing their dog treats from China. I would definitely check that, but many companies are still doing that for chicken based dog treats. That is up in the air at the moment, which it really shouldn't be. I would not feed any animal a chicken based product from China.

Those were the only two sites I found about Dolarama. The offerings then went to Dollar Store, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree.

The above are the only reviews I can find and they aren't really helpful. After those I'm given sites about Freshpet again. I specifically asked if Dolarama Pet Select was made by Freshpet. No answer. Freshpet is, I believe raw, or at any rate sold in the refrigerated cabinets.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dunno. This product doesn't look that great to me. I don't usually buy "mystery meat" cat food, and the labels on this one are worded weirdly.

"Animal products" is listed as the primary ingredient on two of those cans. This probably refers to a mix of meat and by-products.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried to do a google search for reviews and complaints - none offered. For who makes Pet Select - not given. Every time I put Pet Select in I was offered Freshpet info - there is NO reason to think that Pet Select is a form of Freshpet. When I put Dollar store I got Family dollar website with all the pet food they offered, and Dollar Tree, but no one claimed to have Pet Select.

Okay, I see the company that makes the food is Dollarama which is a Canadian Dollar store type company that seems to have recently expanded into the pet food market here is a review PIJAC Canada: Pet Food in Discount Retail: Canada’s Dollarama Bets on Consumers Enjoying Bargain Shopping If the addy doesn't work google PIJAC Canada.

another forum http://forums.redflagdeals.com/safe-eat-food-dollarama-1509887/2/ remarked that in 2014 Dolarama was still sourcing their dog treats from China. I would definitely check that, but many companies are still doing that for chicken based dog treats. That is up in the air at the moment, which it really shouldn't be. I would not feed any animal a chicken based product from China.

Those were the only two sites I found about Dolarama. The offerings then went to Dollar Store, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree.

The above are the only reviews I can find and they aren't really helpful. After those I'm given sites about Freshpet again. I specifically asked if Dolarama Pet Select was made by Freshpet. No answer. Freshpet is, I believe raw, or at any rate sold in the refrigerated cabinets.
Would meat from China meet EU organic standard? That label and "100% organic raw material" statement shocked me. I wouldn't be able to afford human food with similar standard for myself :lol:

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dunno. This product doesn't look that great to me. I don't usually buy "mystery meat" cat food, and the labels on this one are worded weirdly.

"Animal products" is listed as the primary ingredient on two of those cans. This probably refers to a mix of meat and by-products.
There was a typo in the original post: it didn't say no meat by-products but no meat meal.
But, still, organic meat by-products?

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There was a typo in the original post: it didn't say no meat by-products but no meat meal.
But, still, organic meat by-products?
It's nice that it is organic, sure. And by-products are generally something that you want to have in cat food.

Far as I can tell there is zero information about this food out there, so it is feed at your own risk.

My best guess based on feeding instructions is that the entire can contains somewhere around 300 calories of food, so it is VERY watered down. If you compare calories to some other foods out there you might find that the savings is very minimal. That is about the only thing that I can really tell about this. Sorry I can't help more :/

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's nice that it is organic, sure. And by-products are generally something that you want to have in cat food.

Far as I can tell there is zero information about this food out there, so it is feed at your own risk.

My best guess based on feeding instructions is that the entire can contains somewhere around 300 calories of food, so it is VERY watered down. If you compare calories to some other foods out there you might find that the savings is very minimal. That is about the only thing that I can really tell about this. Sorry I can't help more :/
I'm not going to feed it. One important thing I can't tell from the labels is if this food is complete and balanced.

Dizzydog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New Dollarama in our locale featuring Pet Select Organic Chicken Pate, Organic Beef, (Non-Organic) Pet Select Salmon Pate, and Non-organic Friskies Pates of Various Flavors. Organic Pet Select foods feeding guide says "No Artificial Colors, Flavors, No Meat Meal, & No Soy" Can also says "must be served at room temperature" but "unused portions must be refrigerated" which means I have to warm up "His Majesty's" dinner for him now. Organic tins have CCPB certification label (The European Organic Certifiers Council) and MIPAAF Authorized Inspection Body so the food appears to be legitimately organic.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience cats tend to throw up cold food, if they are willing to eat it at all. Cold food doesn't have much smell, that matters to them. It kinda matters to people.

Dizzydog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His Dizziness doesn't seem to care about the temperature of the food. He's been a liver eater, along with dry food, and because liver goes off quickly in a warm environment, He is generally served it from the fridge....and has never thrown up that I was aware of..
Lately I have been giving him tinned food, as he is not as active as he used to be, and liver is very rich for a less active cat.
The organic Pet Select Chicken smells much better than any Friskies food that I have fed him...

Pierina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His Dizziness doesn't seem to care about the temperature of the food. He's been a liver eater, along with dry food, and because liver goes off quickly in a warm environment, He is generally served it from the fridge....and has never thrown up that I was aware of..
Lately I have been giving him tinned food, as he is not as active as he used to be, and liver is very rich for a less active cat.
The organic Pet Select Chicken smells much better than any Friskies food that I have fed him...
Hi, I just bought a can for my cat, so far he likes the taste! Wondering how long you've been feeding your cat this, and what is his fur like after eating it for a while? Any problems with digestion or anything? I find it strange to have an organic product in the Dollarama? (but happy as well)

Dizzydog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is hot and cold on tinned food at the best of times. He would eat the Dollarama non-organic salmon, but not much of any of the organic versions. I changed to Dollerama's Friskies Pates; he eats more of these, but balks toward the end of the tins of the Poultry Platter, like there might be an objectionable taste near the bottom of the tin. I also buy him (Friskies) Chef's Dinner and Ocean Whitefish (and Tuna). he's fussy about the length of time the tins are open; So I leave the food 'flat' in the tin, and cover the food with the can's lid, and then use an Adams (small jar) Peanut Butter lid (which has a rubber seal) to seal the top of the tin so it's airtight. The food stays pink, and seems to last better this way, and he will usually eat the whole large tin. I also feed him raw beef liver that I get from Buy Low Foods; he would prefer that to tinned or dry foods. His fur has never been all that shiny; it's like in the picture to the left; the different foods don't seem to make a difference.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The word 'organic' does not really have any meaning in terms of pet food regulation. I would take it with a grain of salt.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The word 'organic' does not really have any meaning in terms of pet food regulation. I would take it with a grain of salt.
Really. I could feed my cat hay from my field and it would be organic.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No artificial flavor/color, no meat meal. Two of the 3 flavors are made of organic materials. I can't find information online (English only as I can't read Italian).
I'm Italian, but I've never heard of that brand before, nor have I seen in stores.
I searched on the web and couldn't find anything.
Where does it say it's Italian? I can't rean a single word in Italian on that label, only English and French. My suspect is that they are trying to pass it off as Italian because sometimes Italian stuff can have a bit of reputation for quality.

Teeniequeenie82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m in Ontario canada and had been purchasing this brand for some time tho where I am they don’t have the organic version…just 2 flavours for cats and 2 for dogs…HOWEVER…as of recently THEY HAVE CHANGED THE FOODS…Bothe the flavours as well as the cat foods only come in small cans now and they actually list the company as being in Thailand now and no longer Italy…I hadn’t noticed that part and just thought the company changed the labeling and flavours but it seems to be COMPLETELY DIFFERENT now and my pets won’t even eat it….