It Has Been A Week Since I Lost My Cat

anilswati2207

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat's name is Devon. My daughter volunteered at an animal shelter and convinced us to adopt him. We already had a dog in the house, although, eventually both him and Devon became best buddies. Devon is a timid cat. He gets scared with loud noises. Last friday, we had opened the door to let my dog out and my husband was smoking. Devon loves to sit on the ledge of the door and get all his smells in. When my husband came in, he asked my daughter where Devon was. She told me that he must have darted upstairs so we closed the door. When we were getting ready to go to bed, we realized he was not there. We looked outside for him but he was nowhere. My heart goes out because it was very windy that day, and windy and raining again the next day. He must have found a safe space, I hope. I have been leaving food trails for him, but he has not come back. I'm leaving the back door open so he can return, but no sign of him so far. Needless to say, like so many other owners, I'm devastated. I have hired scent tracking service. They are coming later today, and I'm afraid of being hopeful. Everynight, I do something new and feel hopeful and every morning, I'm disappointed to not find him in my bed. Does anyone know if the sounds outside due to wind will keep a timid cat tucked away in their hiding place? Is it a good idea to look for them in windy weather?
Keeping him in my prayers and hoping to see him soon. I miss cuddling against him. I love him so much.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Devon! So sorry he’s lost. I heard putting the litter box outside is a good way for them to come home, they can smell that from far away.

I think it’s worthwhile to look for him in inclement weather, but you are right that he might not come out with so much wind and rain. Housecats that go outside sometimes get pretty scared and even if they are nearby won’t come when called. Keep going out and calling for him, post on social media and put up flyers/talk to neighbors, shake his dry food and put out treats. Hopefully he will come home soon.

Don’t lose hope, I just had a neighbor find her cat after 9 months so it’s definitely possible.

Clover18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid we had an indoor cat that was declawed (back then it was considered fine to declaw), he got out through an open window by popping out the screen. Our dog was trying to alert us but we didn't realize it at the time. Two weeks went by and our dog started going nuts at the back door. There was our cat under a bush. He was disheveled and had burrs and some fur missing but he was home. Our dog nearly licked him to death and the cat let him. It was kinda cute. Somehow he found his way home even though he had never been outside before and didn't know the area. Don't lose hope!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anilswati2207

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The track dog yesterday tracked him going back and forth from 3 to 4 neighbors house (across the road from our house). The backyard of these neighbors houses face the woods. It looks like he could be in their backyards, or porches or the woods behind them. I laid out a trap last night beyond a neighbors fence line slightly in the woods but nothing. What's worrying me that there has been no sighting of him. There was also a track of him in the front of our house. So, we laid another trap in the bushes in the front of our house. But that caught another cat. We let that cat go. How much can you rely on the track dog? I'm planning to leave my garage door 3 to 4 inches open with a camera and food, water. I'm praying for a sighting. Once I see him, I can be assured that he is not trapped in someone's garage or basement. I am praying for a miracle. People around are asking me to think he is having fun in the woods, or if he is outdoors, may be that's what he wants. I still can't control my emotions. He is the only one who I could carry in my lap and snuggle with. He's claw at me every night and wake me up. I thought that was so cute of him. My lack of sleep did not bother me. His cute clawing at me was worth everything. I miss him so much. Please keep me and him in your prayers.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try putting his kitty litter outside especially if it's not cleaned. I've heard that works. Put some smelly irresistible food like human tuna fish in the traps. You might catch all kinds of animals though.
Don't give up hope. I've heard of pets missing for much longer and being found.

anilswati2207

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, this is what happened last night. I left the garage door open with some food and water and I placed a camera. I also left the door from the garage to the kitchen slightly open so Devon could get in the house. Instead, we saw another cat, she came into the garage, ate the food and also came to the kitchen. All this was caught in the camera. I'm not sure right now if she is still inside or has left because there is no camera recording of the cat going out. To be fair, there is no camera recording of the cat coming in either. My daughter had gone down right around that time so I have reason to believe that she must have left. The night before, we had caught a similar looking cat in our trap but let her go. Now, I'm worried if this cat is marking our house as his territory and that would prevent Devon from coming back. I sat outside from 12:30 to 1:30 at night softly shaking his treat bag along side my dog (they both loved each other), but there is no sign of him. Over the weekend, we had called a dog tracking service. They marked a track but I'm now thinking if it is Devon who he tracked or this cat, since the area that he covered seems unlikely to be covered by Devon given he is indoor only and very timid cat. I'm thinking of leaving a trap in the garage, but if it's the same cat, I wonder if they would get inside the trap now. I'm at my wits end...Any advice would be appreciated...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, but thinking out loud, could you maybe trap this other kitty and put him/her into a room with food water and litter (be on the lookout for fleas), and then see if Devon comes back?

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to do tracking as an activity as one would do agility with dogs. Dogs are extremely good at differentiating the scent of one person or animal from another. It is highly likely that the dog tracked Devon. I think you should try the suggestion of trapping the other cat and confining her for a few days to see if Devon might return with that other cat
out of the way.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dog isn't a tracking dog but he told me when my cat had cancer and when it returned after surgery . Of he meets a person with any kind of illness or infection he sniffs nonstop.
He also knows each of my cats by name and knows his dog buddies by names and goes to each one in the park if I tell him to go play with one, even if he hasn't seen them in months.
Dogs sense of smell is many times greater than humans and they can be very intelligent.

anilswati2207

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I will try to put the food behind the trap tonight. See if that catches the cat. The person that did dog tracking with me also told me to take a stick and pot and make really loud noises. This way the cat would have a bad experience and never come here. Let's see if he comes back into the garage today. Thanks all for your advise.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, hmmm....I'm wondering if the loud noises might scare your own kitty, maybe?
Hang in there!!

anilswati2207

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay, I decided to just leave the trap there, hopefully we catch either Devon or the other cats in the trap. No loud noises. Yard signs coming on Wednesday and I will put those up on Thursday.

anilswati2207

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Waking up to one more disappointing day. No sign of Devon. 11 days now. Trying to rationalize my mind. There may be a reason he wanted to be outside. He probably wants me to be happy. I'm afraid I will give up looking for him. I will move on. Do people feel such grief? I think in my case since I'm an immigrant to this country, I have literally no friends or family. Other than my husband and kids, my dog and cat are my world. Devon came in to our house after Thanksgiving last year and I looked forward to spend time with him. Even when we were acclimatizing him in our new home. He would curl up like the fur ball he is right next to me when we were watching tv. I miss all that. I miss not being able to touch him. If there is anyone out there that grants your wishes, mine is to be able to see him and hold him again. Nothing else.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've heard of elderly cats with a lot of sensory and mobility problems managing to turn up after months. I think it's too soon to give up on your kitty . Especially if there's another cat or more than one around that could be intimidating him.
He's also an indoor kitty and may not have a great sense of direction and be disoriented. You also had a tracking dog say he's been around. He could be hiding in or under your porch and just frozen in fear. My childhood cat used to make freedom dashes out the front door and run out into the middle of the street (where my first cat was run over and had to be euthanized!) and stop and just sit in the middle of the street looking pretty and confused. A neighbor luckily went out and picked her up and carried her to our door and rang our bell. We almost had heart attacks. Another time she snuck out and sat outside by the front door in the pouring rain all night. Right next to the covered balcony two steps away where she could have at least stayed dry. No survival skills outside. Had to watch her like a hawk. Luckily after that night in the rain she stopped trying to go out.
You're taking this as a personal rejection and not thinking like your scared cat. He's like a toddler who ran out impulsively like a two year old because he saw an irresistible mouse or bird or bug and followed his instincts. He didn't know he'd get lost.
You the humans let him have access to the outside without a screened in area or harness because it had been ok before and it was a calculated risk. I'm not trying to blame or accuse you at all, lots of people let their cats out all the time but this happens a lot too. He thought he'd get the bug or bird or mouse and then go back home and maybe bring you his treasure. But oops he suddenly had no idea where he was or how to get home.
Now he's lost and scared and this isn't what he wants but cats go into a panic wild survival mode when they're alone and have to fend for themselves.
If you didn't already, put his dirty kitty litter box outside so he'll recognize his own scent. That could help orient him. And set up traps with smelly food and keep the other cat confined somewhere in a kind environment so she can't scare him.