It Finally Happened!

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went out the back door this morning to feed our feral kitties. The Tortie feral ("Star Baby") was just TOO fast for this old man. She darted between my legs and into the house! Our indoor young male must have thought "oh boy, a new play mate" and started a chase game (there was no growling, hissing, or fighting). Star was looking for a place to hide and ended up going down into the basement and is, at this point, still hiding under the basement steps. I set up won of our cat traps and put a small dish of baby food meat in it as "bait". We are leaving her alone to settle down and decompress. The last thing we want to do is to chase, corner, or grab at her. We are hoping for a good outcome for all of us!

Doug

cathmarie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good luck! I'm sure you are already aware of this, but be sure to keep Star away from your indoor kitties. I made the mistake of trying to integrate an outside kitten into my home and it turned out he is a carrier of Parvo. My elder kitty came down with Parvo and I had to have her put to sleep last month. I am working on getting the outside kitten vaccinated and the indoor kitties up to date with their vaccinations and will reintroduce them once that is done. But it was a difficult lesson to learn and I would hate for anyone else to go through that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I'm sure you are already aware of this, but be sure to keep Star away from your indoor kitties. I made the mistake of trying to integrate an outside kitten into my home and it turned out he is a carrier of Parvo. My elder kitty came down with Parvo and I had to have her put to sleep last month. I am working on getting the outside kitten vaccinated and the indoor kitties up to date with their vaccinations and will reintroduce them once that is done. But it was a difficult lesson to learn and I would hate for anyone else to go through that.
cathmarie,,, thank you so much for the "Parvo" heads up! I looked it up online a was able to read up on it. Thank you again!

Doug

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet trip will let you know if she's got the parvo. Ask them to check before they spay her and vaccinate her. Hope your little boy gets the friend he wants out of this "Surprise!! I'm here!"

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A vet trip will let you know if she's got the parvo. Ask them to check before they spay her and vaccinate her. Hope your little boy gets the friend he wants out of this "Surprise!! I'm here!"
Kflowers,,, thanks for you reply. The three feral kitties were TNR'd last spring. The feral brother has been quite slow in getting comfortable with the humans that live here. When he settles down living here, we are planning to take them to our Vet.

Doug

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
12:05 AM,,, our Feral (Star) is safely and gently back outside! I made a seven foot "hallway" using three Bar stools from the kitchen island as uprights, two 44" x 55" pieces of cardboard as walls, from the basement door to the inside back door. I then blocked open the outside storm door and rolled open the basement "barn door". Star walked up the basement stairs, slowly walked down the makeshift "hallway" and then just walked outside! After I removed the "hallway" and put the Bar stools back at the island, I glanced at the back door and the was Star sitting there looking in at me. I gave her a couple of treats and after eating them, she turned and headed toward the shed. I wrote this now to give me a chance to calm down before I go to bed! ,,, Goodnight all!

Doug

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
12:05 AM,,, our Feral (Star) is safely and gently back outside! I made a seven foot "hallway" using three Bar stools from the kitchen island as uprights, two 44" x 55" pieces of cardboard as walls, from the basement door to the inside back door. I then blocked open the outside storm door and rolled open the basement "barn door". Star walked up the basement stairs, slowly walked down the makeshift "hallway" and then just walked outside! After I removed the "hallway" and put the Bar stools back at the island, I glanced at the back door and the was Star sitting there looking in at me. I gave her a couple of treats and after eating them, she turned and headed toward the shed. I wrote this now to give me a chance to calm down before I go to bed! ,,, Goodnight all!

Doug
FYI,,, Star Baby shows no "worse for wear" signs from her trip indoors. I went into her house and sat down on the floor. She came right up to me and demanded some pet, then curled up on my lap and started purring. ...SO happy!

Doug

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's ready to come inside. Can she go to the vet by herself? The sooner you get her in the less time you'll have to worry. Okay, the less time I'll have to worry. Sorry, sort of selfish here.

oldtinsmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's ready to come inside. Can she go to the vet by herself? The sooner you get her in the less time you'll have to worry. Okay, the less time I'll have to worry. Sorry, sort of selfish here.
Kflowers,,, Cheri and I both think it is best (at least at this time) if we leave Star outside so she can be with her sib's (Mid Night and Sonny). They've never been apart and their bond is quite evident. We think separating them would be almost cruel!... We appreciate your thoughts a lot!

Doug

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand, and you're right. I hate splitting up families. 'course you know what I'd do, but I had enough to crew a good sized ship for a long time. ;)

You are doing very nicely. I would like to say you are doing very kindly, but I don't think English bends that way.

Last edited: