Issues with Momma

Ansmith0317

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We’ve been having serious issues with aggression from spayed Momma. We have 5 cats in the house total- Momma, two of her older kittens (male, neutered, big teddy bears they are the sweetest) and now two of her ‘baby’ kittens- they are about 3 months old now- a female and a male. Momma was the sweetest when she was caring for her babies- so caring and she spent a lot of time playing with them as well as they got a little bit bigger. She was somewhat aggressive on weening both litters, but is now just super aggressive toward all of the other cats in the home like 90% of the time. She will cuddle/groom, even play with the babies on occasion so they try to approach her when she goes nuts and attacks them. She also sleeps in our bedroom like all day (which is the farthest from the living room where the cat trees are and where all of the kittens hang out) she is still very sweet to humans, I just don’t understand where all of this Is coming from- I just want some peace in the house! The youngest kittens aren’t at that pubescent phase (at least I don’t think just around 3 months would be?) and we will have them fixed as soon as we can- the girly is still VERY small.
Sorry for the novel- I just want to try to find a solution! Thanks!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering the kittens will likely help. Are you sure she’s being aggressive, rather than showing them their place/defending her position as top cat? If she’s sweet towards them at times, it’s unlikely she’s genuinely aggressive towards them, imo.

She could also just want some peace and quiet — she’s the only adult in a household of children atm, so she could well just be showing them their place when they pester her. 8-12+ weeks is the time mother cats will teach their kittens social niceties.

Kittens can be neutered as soon as they hit 1kg (typically hit by 8 weeks), so may be worth checking to see if your vet would be comfortable doing a spay on her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may also just have had enough with all of these kittens, thankyouverymuch, MY JOB IS DONE! That can happen. In nature, the older kittens would be well away from the next, and the younger ones being actively pushed out.

And while it is early, the younger ones may be starting to display that "hormoney" smell, as well.