Issues with Evo Dry Food Turning Into Crumbs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far they seem to be digesting it fine. My 5 year old is still not sure if she likes it though. At least she has finally decided to try it.

I am not doing a full on food change transition yet. I have two more other trial sizes still. I am just giving them very small quantities to taste things.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My five year old cat has decided to start eating the new food. I think I am going to wait a little longer to see if I actually need to try anything else.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover73

My five year old cat has decided to start eating the new food. I think I am going to wait a little longer to see if I actually need to try anything else.
I am glad all your cats are eating it
. I am sure you are as well
. I just went out yesterday and bought the two pound trial size bag of Wellness Core. Today I will start adding a few pieces at a time to the EVO and Taste Of The Wild dry to see if my Savannah will eat it and more importantly see if he can digest it.

Can I ask what other brands you bought even if your not going to use them, in case I need too

Thank you again

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed this thread, and have had the same problem with EVO dry. I first thought that it was the particular bag, and that it was probably thrown around in the truck, or in the store. The next time I picked a bag from the pile that had no wrinkles, and was stacked neatly. This batch was better, but toward the bottom of the bag, it seems to get more "crumbly". I sifted the bottom of the bag through a colander, and strained all the crumbs out that way. But you're all correct - this should not be happening, and it is a waste of a very expensive food (I pay ~$22 for a 5 lb bag).

My cats love it, but do leave the crumbs. I get this from a holistic pet store, and next time I go in I'm going to talk to the owner and ask if others are reporting this. And then I'll get her opinion on the best replacement, and report back.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started feeding my cats Felidae Pure Elements and they just love it!! Also, much less expensive than the EVO. I also just returned another bag of EVO I had on hand that I just opened to see what it looked like. It had a ton of crumbs in it. My natural food store took it back for a credit and said there have been many returns on the EVO dry cat food due to the consistency change.

I also used to feed Wellness Core and my cats loved it, and did very well on it. It is also quite expensive but a very, very good food.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

I am glad all your cats are eating it
. I am sure you are as well
. I just went out yesterday and bought the two pound trial size bag of Wellness Core. Today I will start adding a few pieces at a time to the EVO and Taste Of The Wild dry to see if my Savannah will eat it and more importantly see if he can digest it.

Can I ask what other brands you bought even if your not going to use them, in case I need too

Thank you again
Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken Meal Formula and Acana Pacifica Regional Fish Flavor.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Presto

I just noticed this thread, and have had the same problem with EVO dry. I first thought that it was the particular bag, and that it was probably thrown around in the truck, or in the store. The next time I picked a bag from the pile that had no wrinkles, and was stacked neatly. This batch was better, but toward the bottom of the bag, it seems to get more "crumbly". I sifted the bottom of the bag through a colander, and strained all the crumbs out that way. But you're all correct - this should not be happening, and it is a waste of a very expensive food (I pay ~$22 for a 5 lb bag).

My cats love it, but do leave the crumbs. I get this from a holistic pet store, and next time I go in I'm going to talk to the owner and ask if others are reporting this. And then I'll get her opinion on the best replacement, and report back.
I shop at the same type of place in my area. I asked for recommendations too.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

....I started feeding my cats Felidae Pure Elements and they just love it!!
Thank you very much for the info. Are the Felidae Pure Elements large pieces like Evo or more the size of Taste Of The Wild?

I also used to feed Wellness Core and my cats loved it, and did very well on it. It is also quite expensive but a very, very good food.
The ingredients look great. But the pieces are so tiny it seems to confusing my Savannah. It does not take much

Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken Meal Formula and Acana Pacifica Regional Fish Flavor.
Thanks very much
!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I will be sticking with the Wellness Core Original formula for my new dry food. All three of my cats really seem to like it. My 2 year old kitty who has always been a really messy eater has stopped throwing his food all over my powder room and hall.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you found something to work for all

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Glad you found something to work for all
Thanks me too. So much for being able to do the food change over properly though. My cats were eating the new food and leaving the EVO in the bowl or on my floor. I ended up switching their food over completely in just a few days. I am glad no one is having tummy issues since I was forced to do such a quick food change. I am not even bothering to mix in the EVO anymore. I think tomorrow we are going to go return the other two bags of food that were never used at all. I am going to go get a big bag of the Wellness Core. I think we are just going to throw out the rest of the EVO since I lost receipt. I like the place I shop at and I am not going to be an annoying customer and try to return a half a bag of EVO without the darn receipt. I have also had that bag of EVO too long to feel comfortable even asking to return it.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks me too. So much for being able to do the food change over properly though. My cats were eating the new food and leaving the EVO in the bowl or on my floor. I ended up switching their food over completely in just a few days. I am glad no one is having tummy issues since I was forced to do such a quick food change. I am not even bothering to mix in the EVO anymore. I think tomorrow we are going to go return the other two bags of food that were never used at all. I am going to go get a big bag of the Wellness Core. I think we are just going to throw out the rest of the EVO since I lost receipt. I like the place I shop at and I am not going to be an annoying customer and try to return a half a bag of EVO without the darn receipt. I have also had that bag of EVO too long to feel comfortable even asking to return it.
I am glad one of us is having luck
. I tried Wellness Core and the pieces where too small for my Savannahs liking. I then tried Blue Buffalo Grain free. That gave him bad G.I. upset (like most foods on the market).

So tomorrow I am going to try Innova. I know it has some grain in it but not much, so it is worth a try IMHO. Here is the website if you all want to look at it and give me your opinion: http://www.innovapet.com/products/761.

Sharky, Otto, LDG and anyone else have another DRY food sugestion please tell me.

If all else fails I guess he will be eating three mice a day,
another solution. So he maybe on a whole prey diet

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat Person

Thank you very much for the info. Are the Felidae Pure Elements large pieces like Evo or more the size of Taste Of The Wild?
The kibble is the exact same size as EVO and no crumbs
. All my cats love it and are doing very well on it. They get mostly wet, but boy when I dole out the dry for treats they all come running.

caramelblond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just read this thread, I remember taking a bag of EVO 88% to the ranch supply where I got it and asked about the fine crumbs at the bottom of the bag, she said it was the coating they put on it for vitamins and such. Said it was extra so food had its value still. That was 2 bags ago so about 8 months ago. Don't know if it is related but was still annoying because of the waste.

EVO was the first dry my Buddy would eat for more than a week, after 6 months of frustrating experimenting. What I did find was that Taste of the Wild was like candy to him. He LOVED it!! It was however, the only food that upset his stomach when he first started eating it, both ends were involved. As he has been sick for the last couple of months he has been on a wet only diet with an introduction to raw just two weeks ago. Nature's Variety chicken, he seems to like it.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The kibble is the exact same size as EVO and no crumbs
. All my cats love it and are doing very well on it. They get mostly wet, but boy when I dole out the dry for treats they all come running.
So far Loki the Savannah is eating the Felidae Pure Elements dry food along with his daily mouse
. He still likes the Evo much better, which I am assuming is due to the fact it has liver and turkey in it. But I really do

I am glad that I have found a food to transition him onto that he will eat and can digest

Thank you so much Feralvr and everyone else for posting what they tried!