Issues with cat peeing on jackets and dirty spots

Smokey1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, you kind cat lovers helped me with a bad case of ringworm. We're all good now.

My biggest cat keeps peeing on jackets after pulling them down to the floor. He pees on brooms, mops, and cardboard boxes that are going to be thrown out. He's a big fella that I had since birth and I didn't train him how to use the litter tray properly, and he's a bit weird, so he makes a huge mess when I leave open litter trays out. I have an enclosed one that I clean regularly but just yesterday the enclosed tray was totally clean, with new litter and he still peed on my jacket this morning.

This is very frustrating. I want to believe he's trying to tell me something but something tells me he's also being whimsical.

Any help? I'm getting stressed out as I need to have things organized and into a system.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello

Often when cats pee on soft things, it's due to them feeling painful when they are urinating (which doesn't necessarily explain the brooms et al--these things could be a territorial reaction). Have you had him in for a wellness checkup recently?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'll need to discuss the possibility of FLUTD with a veterinarian ASAP 😺 This is how it begins usually. My cat would pee on dirty laundry and bedding. Not all the time but here and there in batches over years, before he was diagnosed.

Those spots are already dirty, so they think it's a safe soft place to pee, that might hurt less than the litter box.

Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered? My male peed on things when he was stressed. Is there anything he could be stressed about? Is there anyway to put those things behind closed doors, such as a closet? If he can't get to them he can't pee on them. Get Natures Miracle to spray on those spots. It sounds more like marking territory than actual peeing, maybe a calming treat would help too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smokey1987

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Yes, he is neutured.
I have been thinking about buying a bigger enclosed litter tray but it sounds like it's time to go to the vet for a checkup. I'll also buy them ( i have two cats) another tray and try my hardest to clean it everyday. Hopefully we can find something thatt works

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Yes, he is neutured.
I have been thinking about buying a bigger enclosed litter tray but it sounds like it's time to go to the vet for a checkup. I'll also buy them ( i have two cats) another tray and try my hardest to clean it everyday. Hopefully we can find something thatt works
I'm sure you will find what works 😺 if you are using either clay or pine litter, I'd recommend switching to something else. I have found that advice helps many people with urinary issue cats.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the vet can help. My boy has only peed out of the box once and that one time he had bladder crystals. Some rare cats can not have any laundry not in a basket with a lid or they pee on it.