Issue with using litter. Please help

Monikszaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have adopted new cat her name is Mia she is Persian female over 2 years old. It’s been 3 weeks since she is with us and she settled in very good but she doesn’t use litter box with any type of cat litter substrate, she will only use litter box which have a puppy pads in and normally I wouldn’t mind but I have to change the pads every time she uses the litter as the pads get soaking wet and she won’t use the litter again until there is new one. I can’t be constantly at home changing her pads so I really want her to use litter box the same way my other cats do. Can any of you please give me advice what should I do or maybe someone else had the same problem
I have never seen a cat using puppy pads so I’m still very surprised and I have no idea how she learn using it in a first place

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put the pad down and then add a little litter? Keep adding more litter each day until it is full and you don't need to pads?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are you able to find out what she was using as a litterbox/contents before you got her? That might go a long way in determining how to gradually move her to standard litter/litterbox set up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Monikszaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you put the pad down and then add a little litter? Keep adding more litter each day until it is full and you don't need to pads?
I tried but as soon as she see little bit of litter there she doesn’t go in she get stressed and go around the room and doesn’t use the box the whole day she just hold it in

Monikszaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Are you able to find out what she was using as a litterbox/contents before you got her? That might go a long way in determining how to gradually move her to standard litter/litterbox set up.
Well her previous owner didn’t seem to care much and she move abroad so we can’t get in touch with her but I know there were using newspaper in the litter box which seems really bad idea but now I don’t know how to change her bad habit
Instead of newspaper at least I’m using puppy pads seems way more hygienic

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The sister of my avatar was a feral who never had any dirt to use to relieve herself when she was outside. When I adopted her, she refused to use litter. Her sister was fine with it however. I had to resort to the litter box with the puppy pad. As you have stated, I did notice that she sort of rolled the pad up and did not reuse it. I placed a litter box with litter next to the puppy pad box and eventually she did transition. It was not that quickly however.

Monikszaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The sister of my avatar was a feral who never had any dirt to use to relieve herself when she was outside. When I adopted her, she refused to use litter. Her sister was fine with it however. I had to resort to the litter box with the puppy pad. As you have stated, I did notice that she sort of rolled the pad up and did not reuse it. I placed a litter box with litter next to the puppy pad box and eventually she did transition. It was not that quickly however.
Im willing to try anything tbh because I just really don’t like the idea of using puppy pads her whole life so I will give it a go but I need to think how to do it as she likes using covered litter box without the flap so it would be easier on two open litter trays but she doesn’t really like it but I might give it a go
Luckily I have few litter trays in my storage room so we can experiment

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I placed a litter box with litter next to the puppy pad box and eventually she did transition. It was not that quickly however.
I think that's a great suggestion. :thumbsup: It makes perfect sense too. This way you're not forcing her to stop using the puppy pads but giving her an alternative. If she likes using a covered litter box with the puppy pads then make sure you use the same type of box for the one filled with litter. Be patient since it will most likely take time for her to transition especially since you mentioned Mia is over two years old. Good luck!

Monikszaa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that's a great suggestion. :thumbsup: It makes perfect sense too. This way you're not forcing her to stop using the puppy pads but giving her an alternative. If she likes using a covered litter box with the puppy pads then make sure you use the same type of box for the one filled with litter. Be patient since it will most likely take time for her to transition especially since you mentioned Mia is over two years old. Good luck!
Yes that’s what I will be giving her today and fingers crossed she will one day start using it.
I’m aware she is already an adult cat and some of her habits and behaviors will be very difficult to change. She is really sweet and I instantly fell in love with her, we bonded over the last 3 weeks, she is still not ready to explore the whole house for some reason but she feels very comfortable in my room so I’m not really worried, she will start exploring when she is ready I also don’t want to force her and stress her out. I want to take her to the vet but I know this will really stress her out so I will probably wait few more weeks