Is yoghurt bad for cats?

demstaraus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Because I forgot to put my bowl up and they both had eaten a little bit, not more than a couple of spoonfuls between them... will it make them sick?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, small amounts aren't a problem, and the acidophilus in it is good for them (though in any amount of yoghurt they could eat there really isn't enough to be of benefit). I always let Flowerbelle have a little bit of my yoghurt when I eat it.

Milk, on the other hand, can give a lot of cats the runs. It just depends upon their level of lactose tolerance.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll probably be fine. Yogurt has a lot of beneficial bacteria that are good for you (and cats), so plain yogurt can be a good treat for kitties (not too much). Sweetened yogurt has too much sugar for kitties to have on a regular basis, but once shouldn't be too bad for them. If they had too much, they might throw up, but there shouldn't be any long-term effects.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't be too worried.

Yogurt isn't bad for em at all actually, its just that regular store yogurt is 50% yogurt and 50% sugar and fruits and all kinds of things. At worst I would expect mild diarrhea.

Edit: doh, double-beaten to the punch, heh!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

My boy Gus steals my yogurt every chance he gets

I can't eat a cup of yogurt without a few cats fighting each other off to lick the remnants in the bottom of the cup. A lick or two isn't going to hurt them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Yogurt isn't bad for em at all actually, its just that regular store yogurt is 50% yogurt and 50% sugar and fruits and all kinds of things. At worst I would expect mild diarrhea.
I think this is the answer.

Ie I believe plain youghurt is even good. The usual sugared isnt good because of this sugar, but isnt poisonous in itself.

The lacose contains goes down when milk becomes yoghurt.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely HAVE to share my morning yoghurt with both Pria and Shadey. They literally hound me each morning until I do.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No problem, don't worry!! Yogurt has beneficial bacteria and is good in small amounts for cats. Plain is best. I eat yogurt everyday at lunch and let my cats lick some off my finger. Perkins especially loves yogurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

demstaraus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't eat the sugary 'fruity' stuff... they've been fine since yesterday

They did seem quite content after their little morsel though XD

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I buy Fage Greek yogurt and let my cats lick the bowl when I'm done. They seem to like it, and I haven't noticed any digestive problems. The live bacteria cultures are probably good for their gut flora anyway.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lynxx
and Luna ate vanilla yogurt without any trouble. Midnight is allergic to milk and wound up with the runs.

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thor follows me and "sings" incessantly until I give him my yogurt lid. I can't have artificial sweetener, so it's always the natural stuff. Then again, this is the same cat who will walk figure eights around my legs until I give him a couple pieces of dried figs, so who knows?

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yoghurt is actually good for cats. My vet even recommends giving plain yoghurt when a cat has an upset stomach. Yoghurt with probiotics in it is even better. It's also good for putting crushed meds in for some cats. You can mix it in a bit of plain or vanilla yoghurt, draw it up in an oral syringe and squirt it in their mouth. It's usually thin enough that you can draw it up in a syringe.

I would not be worried about cats eating yoghurt at all. Maybe you should avoid them eating large quantitives of it but a few table spoons here and there is not harmful. In fact one of my girls absolutely loves yoghurt and every weekend morning she shares a cup of yoghurt with my husband. It's never caused a problem and it makes her happy. She could care less about treats or canned food but she loves her yoghurt.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chiming in here ... my cats HOUND me for my yogurt!!! I mean.. IN ....MY... FACE!!! I eat lactose free yogurt and yes... some of it is fruity but it's not too bad. They each get maybe a tablespoon of it when I actually eat some. I haven't seen any issues with them.

smokeyjethro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This forum is really awesome, my babe Smokey Bear licked my Activia whilst I was not looking, and I have been freaking out since, glad I found this site. I immediately had my husband check the ingredients to make sure that it did not contain any artificial sweetners (I was sweating and hyperventilating at that time), but it did have some fruit in it.  I am keeping an eye on him....*sigh*.  He is an Angora, and he will eat anything and everything.......I really have to be careful where I put my food!!