Is when outside with my cat weird if its on a leash.

Bljatslapa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my mom doesn't want the cat outside if it's on a leash because she considers it weird, dumb, and a stupid invention
What should I tell her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've trained cats to be on a leash several times. It IS different, people will stare because it is uncommon. But it opens up your cat's world. Why would it be dumb? Many people do it, just most don't want to take the time to get them used to it. Just NEVER take them out of your neighborhood on a leash. They can get out of almost any harness if a big dog rushes them, believe me. The figure 8 harness is the only one my little Houdini couldn't get out of.
When you first start, you get them used to the harness by putting it on them for just a few minutes and extending the time over weeks until they get used to it. some get used to it after just a few days. My Chrissy just fell over sideways and lay there until I took it off. It took her a long time, but she enjoyed her walks the most!

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've trained cats to be on a leash several times. It IS different, people will stare because it is uncommon. But it opens up your cat's world. Why would it be dumb? Many people do it, just most don't want to take the time to get them used to it. Just NEVER take them out of your neighborhood on a leash. They can get out of almost any harness if a big dog rushes them, believe me. The figure 8 harness is the only one my little Houdini couldn't get out of.
When you first start, you get them used to the harness by putting it on them for just a few minutes and extending the time over weeks until they get used to it. some get used to it after just a few days. My Chrissy just fell over sideways and lay there until I took it off. It took her a long time, but she enjoyed her walks the most!
LOL. My Desmond was the same way initially. He'd flop over and would act paralyzed when I first used his harness, as I gardened. That was okay, as it actually suited my purpose. LOL.

Now the knows that harnessing up means getting outdoor time, which he loves. Well worth it.

The caution about cats being able to squeeze out of harnesses when they are in distress is also wise. I have one that's pretty secuse, but even that one requires that I make sure is tight. And we stick around home.

Good advice all around.

Bill

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I sometimes walk my Tigger on the harness in her own garden, when her back legs are not being all that good.

She's getting to the point where she can't jump fences, she has to drag herself up onto the top of the fence, bless her

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat is from stray parents that we are taking care in the neighborhood and we keep her with as, we never put a leash on her and she is always free to go outside by her own !

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our cat is from stray parents that we are taking care in the neighborhood and we keep her with as, we never put a leash on her and she is always free to go outside by her own !
Thank you for rescuing this stray kitty and taking care of her cat parents. :thanks: Unfortunately some of us live in a large urban city where there are many dangers for a cat to be outdoors by themself. I saw a picture of your cat in another post and she is gorgeous. She's very lucky you found her. :catlove:

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing this stray kitty and taking care of her cat parents. :thanks: Unfortunately some of us live in a large urban city where there are many dangers for a cat to be outdoors by themself. I saw a picture of your cat in another post and she is gorgeous. She's very lucky you found her. :catlove:
Thank you very much, appreciate it !

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually used to let my cats outside in a fenced yard, until they learned to climb the fence. :sigh: Then the fish and wildlife department was talking about the nearby eagle nests and how they were finding collars belonging to cats and small dogs IN the nest, so I saved my money and built a catio for my cats and small dog (then, dogs) as a precaution. I had an eagle sitting about 40 feet from my fence one day, and last winter I saw a huge coyote hanging out by the fence just looking into my yard. That was the very night I said "That does it" and I texted the contractor and asked when he could start building. Rural isn't all it's cracked up to be!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have taken Arnold and Greg on walks many times. They love it and run to the door when they see their leads. Walking them on leads enriches their lives,. It's exciting for them and gives them a new experience.

But be careful, cats can generally slip out of a harness if you are not watching. Also it's not like walking a dog. Cats enjoy the walk and take time to sniff and explore everything.

Screenshot_2023-04-11-19-10-09-682~2.jpeg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have taken Arnold and Greg on walks many times. They love it and run to the door when they see their leads. Walking them on leads enriches their lives,. It's exciting for them and gives them a new experience.

But be careful, cats can generally slip out of a harness if you are not watching. Also it's not like walking a dog. Cats enjoy the walk and take time to sniff and explore everything.

View attachment 447550
Those are two GORGEOUS cats! Are they brothers?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So my mom doesn't want the cat outside if it's on a leash because she considers it weird, dumb, and a stupid invention
What should I tell her.
You can talk about how it's safer for cats, just like it's safer for dogs.

People do comment sometimes but most are pretty happy to see it. They appreciate the chance to chat with me and learn about Magnus.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What should I tell her.
IMG_9191.jpeg
IMG_8347.jpeg
IMG_8693.jpeg
IMG_2505.jpeg

Please tell her that Queen Elizabeth would like her to retract that statement immediately as it is offensive to her Highness.
Seriously though, a cat on a leash is the safest way for them to get enrichment outdoors while still being safe.