Is Wet Food Seriously Better Than Dry Food?

mitty009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need to know how many pounds of dry food that two kittens consume every month.

it might depend on dry food only or wet food also.. I am feeding dry food all day and wet canned food for their dinner. my kittens are 2.5 months and 3months old.

how many kittens do you have?

feed dry only?

how many pounds of dry food they eat every month?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Growing kittens eat a lot of food. Your two kittens are definitely in the growing and eating phase so they're going to eat a ton of food daily until they are close to year old. How much kittens eat varies. I don't know how many pounds of dry food a kitten can eat in a month but I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 4 or 5 lbs for piggies. Kittens are typically fed as much food as they want to eat. They can't get fat since their bodies need all that food to grow.

Are you on a budget and can't keep up with the amount of food your kittens are eating?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can calculate how many cups are in a bag using the kcals/kg info listed on the package. Then you can see how many cups they are eating, and convert that back to pounds. That will give you an answer for your kittens. The answer depends on their current age, breed genetics (big cats or small cats), and activity level (which should be pretty high for growing kittens).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good question. Next time I get a bag, I will see how long it lasts. I'm doing the same thing, dry in the morning, wet at night. Right now I'm using a 6 pound bag of dry food. For the winter, I might get a 12 pound bag since we might get snowed in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mitty009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens, one is 2.5months and the other one is almost 3months old..

if feed dry food in the day time and wet canned food as dinner,

how many pounds of dry food will two kittens consume every month?

please also share how many cats you have, how many pounds of dry food you get each time and how long does it last? thank you soooo much

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mitty009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am confused by what people say.... wet food more water, dry food, better teeth..

don't know which one to buy and buy how much for two kittens ( less than 3months)

Mlle. Kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Mitty! I decided to stop feeding my cats dry food at the beginning of this year for many reasons; the biggest one was that I wanted to avoid having my two cats get renal failure. I was too late for my ten year old, but I hope my three year old will not have to deal with this disease. I found the information on www.catinfo.org to be extremely enlightening, plus it made complete sense IMO. I hope this helps!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello mitty009 mitty009 , for me, I would go with wet food.

For kittens, they need lots of proteins for growth which wet food offers you can get either food for kittens or food for all life stages. Usually, by one year, the kitten will be considered an adult cat and you can move to adult formulas or just stick to the all life stages food but it depends on the breed. Some breeds mature at 4 years old.

Firstly, cats have a low thirst drive and if your cat dosen’t drink enough water, is bad for him. Wet food have enough moisture content in each can and it should be sufficient for the cat. To get your cat drink more is to add a little more filtered water to his wet food to ensure he is adequately hydrated. But adding too much water and if your cat just drink the juice, it’ll get him full but not enough nutrients as he may not finish the food. Just be moderate in adding water to the wet food.

Secondly, wet food is more proteins than carbohydrates, which is also a good way to help maintain weight of your kitty. Get those wet food that have real meat as it’s first listed ingredients and onfor grain free food.

Dry food on the other hand is carbohydrates and it’s the starch that holds the dry food in shape when it’s manufactured. Dry food has little water content.
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd)

Dry food is the culprit of overweight kitties that equals to diabetes and other ailments.

How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat - Part 2
Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat's Teeth?

Further reading :- Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

It’s an age old question but you have to weigh it out as how it works into your schedules. Some have all the time in the world so that scheduled feeding of wet food is no problem and some have to be out for several hours so they leave dry food out but there are wet food feeders too that dispense wet food at a given time.

Do your study carefully as different people have different opinions. Go with what suits you and your cat best.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 2 kittens eat about 7-8 pounds of dry food each month when they were sharing a 3oz can for dinner. I now feed them a5.5oz can and they eat half the amount of dry food.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand the dry food is better for teeth theory to be a myth. Feed raw such as chicken on the bone (only uncooked) from time to time.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most if not all cat nutritionist are against the dry kibble feed. Many of these kibble food formula are meat by products cooked in high temperatures, destroying the natural nutritional value. They then have to superficially add the vitamins and nutrients back into it. They also add a lot of carb ingredients as fillers. The quality can wet foods are the best option if you're not feeding your cat clean raw food.