is week old cooked chicken in fridge ok?

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just discovered an entire pound of nicely cubed cooked chicken in the back of my fridge! I somehow missed it when I was making cat food last Tuesday. It was way in the back and it's temperature is 32 degrees.

What I'm wondering is: would it be ok to shred it and dehydrate it?

The kids are [slightly] spoiled and like "sprinkles" on their food - yep, at every meal. "Sprinkles" are dehydrated, cooked chicken/turkey, that I then run thru the blender to make them small crumbles. We're going to run out before our HT order gets here - eeeeeeeeeeeeek!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking that if I boiled it for 10 minutes before baking it for an hour it'd be ok as a topper since it was right at the freezing mark the entire time. Just can't believe I forgot about a pound of chicken! 

Good news is the dehydrated from HT is already on it's way!

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not take a chance.. chicken is very dangerous when it turns.. salmonella is a bad thing to have.. you would feel terrible if your cat got sick...and it was because of the chicken....

not worth it.. just toss it out... how much is a pound of chicken.. not enough to take a chance... 

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it cooked or raw? I am assuming it is raw, if that is the case, absolutely not unless it was frozen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

da hoomin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I did toss it. I was just pouting in my last post. 

You're right, I think I feel bad NOW, just running out of sprinkles -- but I'd REALLY feel awful if it was my fault they got sick!!

[But both are giving me this pitiful look because I didn't fix their supper right! LOL]