Is watermelon safe as a treat?

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to check this as Coojee loves watermelon.

Normally we feed her the best food I can get in the UK. Breakfast is small tin of Thrive Chicken, lunch 8g of Thrive chicken kibbles (hidden around the house, dinner is small tin of Thrive Chicken. Bedtime snack a few bits of Thrive dried chicken/liver pieces hidden around the house. Constant access to 2 water dishes & we add water to her already wet breakfast & dinner tins.

She is a British Blue Shorthair, nearly 3 & is a female neutered indoor-only cat. She has regular playtimes & we treat her life-enrichment very seriously.

No medical issues, although she is affected by fake perfumes & strong fake smells which makes her eyes water. Of course, perfumes & air fresheners are not used & when we clean the bathroom, we keep the door closed for a few hours. At her last checkup, the vet was happy with her weight.

Is the occasional watermelon slice ok for her?

Thrive chicken 2 tins per day:
Chicken Breast (75%), Chicken Stock, Sunflower Oil, Vitamins & Minerals.
Crude Protein 16%, Crude Oils & Fats 2%, Crude Ash 1.5%, Crude Fibres 0.1%, Moisture 80%, ME Kcal/100g 74.4
Per 100g: Vitamin A 2800IU, Vitamin D3 29 IU. Trace elements: Zinc 12mg, Iron 6mg, Manganese 1.4g, Copper 0.6mg, Iodine 0.2mg, Taurine 0.5g.

Lunch 8g
Dried chicken meat (64.5%), fresh chicken (16.5%), chicken fat (6%), sweet potato, potato, chicken gravy (3%), vitamins and minerals, salmon oil.

Bedtime snack
Dried Chicken Liver 100%
Crude protein 62.6.%, Crude fibre 0.5%, Crude oil & fat 22.6%, Crude ash 8.8%

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Many cats enjoy small pieces of cantaloupe, honeydew or seedless watermelon. Plus, melon is high in vitamins A and C.
I have a cat who loves to just lick the outer part of cantaloupe.
While cats, unlike humans, don’t require veggies in their diet, they can be a safe and healthy treat. Your cat might even munch on some cooked carrots, but avoid raw ones as they may be a choking hazard.
As long as there is no allergies to any of it, there should be no issues giving them as treats or snacks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Sorry for the delay in my reply, notifications seem to have broken for me.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Mr.Meow! Just wanted to add on that you’ll want to get all seeds out, and feed in small amounts compared to kitty’s body size, as cats haven’t really evolved with eating and metabolising high amounts of sugar in mind :>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, seeds are removed. Does watermelon have sugar?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Does watermelon have sugar?
As does any fruit, really, yeah. Obviously it’s different in its form to refined sugar, but it’s still a mix of sucrose, fructose, and glucose making fruit sweet :> That said, even with how sweet melons are, small amounts every once in a while aren’t harmful to your kitty. Just make sure it’s small portion for your cat, not just you, haha.