Is Tuxedo A Maine Coon Or Siberian

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Can you post some more pictures so we can see his facial structure in more detail? Thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going with possible Siberian influence for this guy- because his head is rounder than that of a Maine Coon. What a cutie!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Tuxedo is a very, very handsome cat. :bicolorcat: Who is the other kitty in the background?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tuxedo is a very, very handsome cat. :bicolorcat: Who is the other kitty in the background?
Thank you for your kind words Neely. Kitty in the background is Baby Brucie
(might be a Russian Blue) which is also the profile pic and another rescue to
keep Tuxedo company.
image1.JPG

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words Neely. Kitty in the background is Baby Brucie
(might be a Russian Blue) which is also the profile pic and another rescue to
keep Tuxedo company. View attachment 205967
Note: Not on a leash/collar anymore. This is a reformed outdoor to indoor kitty.
Adjusted very well.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the pic of Baby Brucie. You definitely have a dynamic duo! :heartshape:

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the pic of Baby Brucie. You definitely have a dynamic duo! :heartshape:
Looks like you have a beautiful kitty in your profile pic all cuddled up on the computer keyboard
pic35.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like you have a beautiful kitty in your profile pic all cuddled up on the computer keyboard.
Thank you very much - she has since gone to the bridge but I have not changed my avatar because I joined TCS around the time I adopted her. :angel:

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much - she has since gone to the bridge but I have not changed my avatar because I joined TCS around the time I adopted her. :angel:
So sorry for the loss. You know, it is so hard when you lose them.
I remember when I was a young boy our kitty that we had for many
years was dying, could hardly lift his head. My dad and I put him in
a box and drove to the ASPCA to have him peacefully put to sleep.
It was hard. Like us humans, the cycle of life begins and ends to a
better place. Do you have any kitties now.
pic117.jpg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have any kitties now.
Yes, we do, thanks for asking. We adopted an extraordinarily sweet Persian boy named Carleton. We've had two Persian kittens in the past and love the docile nature of the breed. :loveeyes: Carleton came from a terrible hoarder that kept 23 Persians in a garage with no food, litter boxes or ventilation. Two shelters were called in to rescue the cats - they were all malnourished and had multiple skin infections, some required amputations and 2 or 3 could not be saved. Here is a pic of my Carleton, he has been with us for two years and celebrated his Gotcha Day last week. :hearthrob:

Carleton another paws up.jpg

I just noticed your cat sanctuary video at the bottom of your post and going to watch it now.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just watched the video and read your review when you adopted Tuxedo & Baby Brucie. Two thumbs up! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, we do, thanks for asking. We adopted an extraordinarily sweet Persian boy named Carleton. We've had two Persian kittens in the past and love the docile nature of the breed. :loveeyes: Carleton came from a terrible hoarder that kept 23 Persians in a garage with no food, litter boxes or ventilation. Two shelters were called in to rescue the cats - they were all malnourished and had multiple skin infections, some required amputations and 2 or 3 could not be saved. Here is a pic of my Carleton, he has been with us for two years and celebrated his Gotcha Day last week. :hearthrob:

View attachment 206107

I just noticed your cat sanctuary video at the bottom of your post and going to watch it now.
So precious and beautiful. Thank you kindly for viewing the video.
Chris the owner of the Happy Cat Sanctuary is amazing. Currently
has 300 kitties that were rescued over the years from various circumstances,
some good some not so good. Chris basically takes you for a full tour of
the sanctuary and is always improving. Take good care of Carleton which I
know you will and many Blessed years with him.
pic64.jpg

FrankMcG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for replying to an old thread, but your cat looks EXACTLY like my recently passed cat, Happy.

Although Happy was a stray we picked up from the shelter and can't be totally sure about his origins, we strongly suspected he was a Ragamuffin or at least partly. He was ridiculously friendly and gentle with people. He never once bit or scratch a person, and would constantly cuddle up. He was never aloof and would always try to get attention and follow people around.

He pegged him for a Ragamuffin because he had a signature move of frequently walking in front of people and "plopping" to the ground on his side and playing dead or rolling onto his back for belly rubs. He would also go totally limp when picked up, like a Ragdoll or their Ragamuffin mixed offshoot. Ragdolls are never black though so we figured Ragamuffin.

Your cat could be a Maine Coon mix, but I think their manes tend to be longer. I don't think he's Siberian since their fur is a LOT longer. Do a google image search for "Ragamuffin tuxedo cat" and you'll find a lot that look lke yours.

Does your cat go limp when picked up? Does he plop down and play dead a lot? Those would point to Ragamuffin. If not, it might be more likely he's Maine Coon.

Did you know him when he was a kitten? Siberians have very long fur even when they're little kittens. Coons, Ragdolls, and Ragamuffins don't grow their manes until close to 6 months old, and before that are almost indistinguishable from short hairs. You can rule out Siberian entirely if he was shorthair as a kitten.

If he is Coon or Ragamuffin, I STRONGLY advise getting him an echocardiogram when he's a senior. Those 2 breeds are the most as risk for a heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, where the heart tissue thickens and leaves less room to pump blood. It can lead to long term heart failure, or in my cat's case, a sudden stroke from a blood clot. He had zero symptoms that anything was wrong and the condition is almost impossible to detect outside of the echocardiogram. If caught early, treatment can prolong them to a normal life and minimize the chance of clots. I wish I had researched to get the test done, and try to spread the word to any other Ragamuffin/Ragdoll/Maine Coon owners. They're so friendly that you want as many years as possible with them.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats, both longhair and shorthair, are not any specific breed or even mixed with any specific breed. Although many people like to label their longhaired cats as "Maine Coon" or "Siberian" or some other breed based on their looks, most longhaired cats are simply domestic longhairs and do not descend from any of those breeds. Domestic cats can have a wide range of colors, head and body types, coat types, and behavioral characteristics; in general, most physical and behavioral traits are not reliable indications of breed ancestry or predisposition towards any specific health issues.

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Note: Not on a leash/collar anymore. This is a reformed outdoor to indoor kitty.
Adjusted very well.
Sadly, my indoor-only cat jumped out the screen window - thank God I always leave their collars and name tags on. Just wish he'd come home :(
Your cat looks like a Domestic Longhair.