Is Tuna Water Ok For Cats?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to this site I have read that tuna is not healthy for cats.

Is it ok to give my cat the water from canned tuna packed in water? He gets about 4 tablespoons full of this water, 5 times a week when I make a salad for my lunch. He isnt a big water drinker and I want to help him deal with the 1/2 to 3/4 cup of natures variety instinct chicken meal dry food he eats daily.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add that he seems to enjoy the tuna water, whereas the other cat wont touch it.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Pierson says you can use tuna water to entice your cat to transition to raw, but I don't know about using the tuna water long term. In my house to aid in hydration I add bone broth to their raw food. The Caru is expensive and makes only about a tray and 1/3rd of ice cubes, but the Honest Kitchen powdered bone broth you just reconstitute with water and can make tray after tray of ice cubes.
Honest Kitchen Caru

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The honest kitchen brand seems reasonably priced. Will your cat (s) tolerate the turmeric in the bone broth?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks to this site I have read that tuna is not healthy for cats.

Is it ok to give my cat the water from canned tuna packed in water? He gets about 4 tablespoons full of this water, 5 times a week when I make a salad for my lunch. He isnt a big water drinker and I want to help him deal with the 1/2 to 3/4 cup of natures variety instinct chicken meal dry food he eats daily.
I give my cats the occasional tuna "juice" when I drain a can of tuna packed in water, but I'm not sure giving him the entire amount 5 days a week is all that good. Water flavored with a can of tuna is ok, but I think that means taking a can of tuna and putting it in a couple of cups of water and letting it steep, then draining out the tuna, then serving the water (or freezing portions and serving in small portions)

Does your cat eat wet food? What I do to make sure my cats are well hydrated is to add at least 1 tablespoon of water to their wet food at every meal. Sometimes I add more than that, depending on which food they are getting and how thick or thin it is :wink:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found a thread from 2007 on this site about giving the drained tuna water to cats....it was helpful.

From what I can gather the amount I give Arnold wont likely be an issue and the liquid itself will help with hydrating him. However I will cut back the frequency.....maybe twice a week and only a small amount.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou mrsgreen geens, yes we feed arnold and greg wet food daily.....weruva chicken licken.....your idea of adding a tablespoon of water to their wet food seems so obvious..... now that you mentioned jt. I will start tonight.

The tuna water I have been feeding arnold (greg wont drink it), is just the spring water the tuna is packed in and is only a few tablespoons a day.....and not everyday....but I will cut that back.