Is Tidy Cats experimenting on us?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else noticed that Tidy Cats keeps coming out with new formulas and then discontinuing them? It seems like I can't find the same formula more than 3 months in a row. First the Breathe Easy and Power Blend got discontinued. Then they came out with Active Spaces and Dual Power. I liked Active Spaces but they discontinued that one. Right now I like Small Spaces but I just went shopping today and there's a new formula in its place. . .4-way Power? Or something like that (looked it up; it's 4-in-1 Strength). Although on their website it appears Small Spaces is still available. I just wondered if this is nation-wide or if I live in a special experimental area :tongue2:. Every time I like a litter it gets discontinued!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else noticed that Tidy Cats keeps coming out with new formulas and then discontinuing them? It seems like I can't find the same formula more than 3 months in a row. First the Breathe Easy and Power Blend got discontinued. Then they came out with Active Spaces and Dual Power. I liked Active Spaces but they discontinued that one. Right now I like Small Spaces but I just went shopping today and there's a new formula in its place. . .4-way Power? Or something like that (looked it up; it's 4-in-1 Strength). Although on their website it appears Small Spaces is still available. I just wondered if this is nation-wide or if I live in a special experimental area
. Every time I like a litter it gets discontinued!
I noticed that too . I thought it was  really odd . I guess I live in an experimental area as well ..
  I do not use Tidy Cat any longer ,not really for that reason . I just wanted  to find something with less dust . I now use Precious Cat Ultra . It is awesome .

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not just cat litter. Any time I find ANY new product that I really like, the company either discontinues it or goes out of business. An extreme case of Murphy's law in action, I've always thought.

Margret

jenna97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suppose that in a way,they are. I think its more of a case of supply and demand.Every cat needs something different,so they want to meet the needs that are in the highest demand.If something isn't in demand,perhaps because another line meets the need better,they discontinue it.They want to make as much as they can,so if something doesn't profit them,they discontinue it.

So while yes,I think they are experimenting on us,its no worse than a restaurant saying "Only one person orders this a month.The supplies for it cost more than its worth.Lets take it off the menu" after putting something on the menu for a month or two.They are testing the waters.Thats all.If something works really really well,and becomes super popular,I'm sure Tidy Cats will keep it 'on the menu'.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Or perhaps, they are NOT making new products.  They just the the supplier which is cheapiest at the moment.   And with new supplier and thus, new product, they must change the label, so it sounds good and proper.

Perhaps.??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure they manufacture their own products. . .Purina is THE biggest pet supply company in the country so they ought to have full control over supply and all that.

It would be funny if it were the same product with a different label! :lol3: They all smell slightly different but that's easily changed I'm sure.

jenna97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree-I have no doubt that the smell(or even appearance) could be easily changed.All they would have to do is soak it in perfume,dry it out,break it up,and then break up that and no one would be the wiser...Which is mildly alarming...

What really gets me is that they have 'odor control'.I've had multiple cats at once before.So long as the litter box was changed on a regular basis and cleaned daily there was no smell(I had to go out of town and got a bad cat sitter).Knowing this it makes me wonder why they even have odor control-shouldn't the CDC of nailed them for encouraging a failure to maintain a healthy home{Odor control>>Failure to actively change the cats litter>>Poorer Human Health}