Is this Unopened Expired Dry Cat Food Still Good?

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys.. I have an unopened large bag of dry Purina cat food. Expiration date is 7/2022 which was this past July. Mind you, its unopened. Is it still good to use?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The people who sell food have told me that they are extremely generous with the use by dates.
I think if it were me I'd open it and see what I thought. If it's really large though, it might take a while to get through.

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't. It could make your cat sick. Kibble is already bad for your kitty as it is cooked at such high temps and it goes rancid pretty fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So in other words you guys really dont know

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How could anyone here on this site possibly know for sure? If it were me, I would use at least the same caution (if not more) with my cat that I use for myself - which is pretty much 'when in doubt, throw it out'.

You can always ask some of the local rescue centers what their view is and if they say they would take it since it is unopened, then donate it to them.

Is it worth the cost of a bag of cat food to dwell on it very long?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem is that dry food doesn't last, even unopened, very long. At the least, it gets a funky odor and that can be off putting. Unless you had it in a freezer all this time it's likely not edible and could be unsafe .

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive personally eaten food and taken supplements way past their expiry date.. by 2 years lol..

But I would not do that to my cat. Even when cans of wet food seem to have a bit of "give" on their lid before opening (like barely noticable), I dont feed it to her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Uhh cuz its a cat site.. duhhhhhh
Unfortunately, that doesn't make any of us wizards to know each and every nuance to each and every company for each and every brand, and how they process each and every batch - not to mention all the more recent changes that appear to have been made so that products are less expensive to produce - even though we, as consumers, don't see the benefit in terms of cost. Although most foods, including cat food, typically have been known in the past to last longer than the expiration dates listed, I still don't know why something that is 4 months past the expiration date is worth 'trialing' on their cat.

It seems to me that you have gotten good, valid responses on this site, most of which have told you what you may or may not have wanted to hear - don't take the chance.