Is This Too Much Bone?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have to compromise and use a lower amount of iodized table salt until you can find lite salt either locally or online.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the delay. Had to shower and get to the office.

That product looks like it should work. Potassium iodide provides the iodine. Would prefer ingredients to be the same as Morton's, but sometimes we have to get what's available. Ingredients in the Loblaws you might research: potassium chloride, calcium silicate. I think the magnesium should be a low enough amount not to hurt. There's sugar in the product...would prefer this to be left out, but you're using less than 2 tsp per 5lbs of food so all the ingredients should be ok.

The main reason you are buying it is for the iodine, and that product is fine.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finally found it but don't see iodine anywhere.
Loblaws

Thoughts?
The ingredients are exactly the same as mortons lite salt. Buy it. It's only off by 2 percent.

Morton lite salt: Salt, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Silicate, Magnesium Carbonate, Dextrose, Potassium Iodide

Lowbaws: salt, potassium chloride, calcium silicate, magnesium carbonate, sugar, potassium iodide

Dextrose and sugar are the same thing and used an anti caking agent. Calcium silicate and magnesium carbonate are also anti caking agents.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I've entered the Twilight Zone. I would have sworn I pulled up a Morton Lite Salt label this morning to compare, and it had only about 3 ingredients. Don't know what I was looking at, but I see from the photo you linked early in this thread that the ingredients are identical.

:paperbag:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Thank you. It's all good. I just ordered the 3 supplements (Dry E-400, Taurine, B-50 Complex) from iHerb. Can't wait for it to get here! Will my cats notice a difference in the taste? Their meat is almost done anyway so I was going to try duck this time with another protein. Maybe chicken? Don't know yet.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. I remember. They took to the beef and lamb well. I just give them a small amount at first and then wait a few hours before giving them more. Do you mean over a period or a week or longer?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I freely rotate through chicken, pork, beef mixes with no problem. But it's not a bad idea to save back a few meals of the most recent old food in case the new food doesn't quite agree with one of the cats.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. We're going on the weekend and I'll still have some old meat left over.

I read somewhere that sardines can cause crystals in cats. Can anyone confirm this? Felix has a history of struvite crystals and bladder infections. The vet told me way back that raw was an option. That was last November and he hasn't had any crystal or infection problems since. I don't want to have another reoccurance. I'm already making his food more soupy than the other animals since I've seen that he benefits from the extra water.