Is This Too Much Bone?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Write these numbers down for the lite salt to take a note to the store: 290mg sodium (12%) 350mg potassium (10%), plus 40% of the daily requirement for iodine. I'd bet your store carries the Morton brand...that would make it easy.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay! And how often should I feed the fish again? Sorry if it's been mentioned already.
On fish: I buy the small tins of sardines, and the larger cans of salmon and mackerel for Omega-3's instead of using fish oil. On Sunday, I split a can of sardines between the cats, or weigh out 2 ounces of fish for each cat of the larger cans (the dog eats the rest). All the fish I buy is packed in water, but I can't find unsalted in water (which would be better). I rinse the fish, but there is still quite a bit of salt left I'm sure. If you can find unsalted tins of fish packed in water, that would be best. That puts some Omega-3 in their diet, but they would be getting more Omega-3's by using the oil.
Three ounces of fish provides 3000-4000mg Omega 3, so if you were trying to get the same amount as fish oil, twice a week would probably be better, or a whole can of sardines for each cat. I'm feeding too little for the Omega 3's, but don't want my cats addicted to fish flavors either. It's a compromise. I often think I should switch to a fish oil supplement.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What if I'm unable to find these brands in store? Will any brand do?
That's why I suggested taking a note that has the mg's and nutrient %'s so that you can compare once you're in the store. Any brand that "looks like" Morton's on the nutritional label will do.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's why I suggested taking a note that has the mg's and nutrient %'s so that you can compare once you're in the store. Any brand that "looks like" Morton's on the nutritional label will do.
If you find my lite salt we go worst case scenario you'll pick up say nosalt. A potassium only salt substitute. Then let me know. I'll use my cosmetic scale to measure and tell you how much potassium to add to your salt at home to mix a 45% salt 55% potassium blend.

It looked like you have pink Himalayan at home. I have that and could weigh and give ratios via measuring spoons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Even for the supplements? Is it a must that they have to be the Now Foods brand and Nature's Way?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little concerned about the additives though. Give me a little while. I'm going to check something out. Maybe another website will have better deals on shipping...

Geez... It's always the shipping.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even for the supplements? Is it a must that they have to be the Now Foods brand and Nature's Way?
No it's not required. We've been having a big discussion on another thread about B-complex ingredients. I like the Nature's Way because it does not contain PABA, but there is debate about how harmful it may or may not be. We know it builds up in the kidneys, and can cause liver and thyroid damage...just not sure how much PABA does that or how long it takes to do damage.

For Vitamin E, just look for a brand that has "d-" in front of the ingredient "alpha tocopherol", not "dl-". The "d-" is natural, the "dl-" is synthetic.

Taurine is taurine...any brand will work as long as it is "pure taurine".

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're looking for a b50 that looks like this. Ignore inositol. If you can get one without it that's fine. Make sure they are dry tabs. No added vitamin c, no misc herbs try avoiding paba (Now brand has a very small amount that is acceptable like 10 I believe) and no time released.
IMG_5858.JPG

E should also be dry.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great I love more options!
I bought a local store brand...and was disappointed when I opened the bottle. It was lemon-flavored, not clearly on the packaging label. :argh: I made a small batch, and the cats don't seem to mind it at all, but next time I'll try to get "unflavored/unscented".

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought a local store brand...and was disappointed when I opened the bottle. It was lemon-flavored, not clearly on the packaging label. :argh: I made a small batch, and the cats don't seem to mind it at all, but next time I'll try to get "unflavored/unscented".
Lemon E or sardines? :barfgreen:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "100% pure" food-grade liquid vitamin E. Since the cats are eating the food without a problem I'm using it, but will look next time for unflavored.