is this stray cat pregnant?

kelsey408

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray cat in my neighborhood about 3 weeks ago. I took her to the vet and the vet felt her and gave her a clean bill of health, and didn't say anything about feeling like she was pregnant. But a day or two later I noticed when she rolled around her belly looked bigger and her nipples were slightly pink and exposed.

3 weeks later and she seems to be gaining weight, her belly is slightly bigger though not huge, and her nipples are still pink and exposed but not by much. I think I can feel the kittens in her belly but I dont feel them moving. She also has a pouch that hangs from her belly when she stands and it feels like it's getting bigger? She is getting spayed in 4 days and I'm terrified of her giving birth before then because I have no clue how far along she is.

She isn't really nesting or showing any strange behaviors, she just sleeps on my bed most of the day. She's very affectionate but that hasnt changed much from when she first started coming to my house 2 months ago.

Does she look like she could give birth in a few days?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may well be pregnant, so I suggest you either reschedule the spay and wait it out a few weeks, or get an x-ray or ultrasound done to determine if she is pregnant and how far along if so.

There’s always a possibility she is already spayed and just putting on weight from her new comfortable lifestyle. An x-ray would show if she still has a uterus. Some spayed cats are abandoned by owners when they move, or are neglected and seeking a better home. I have one of those.

Nipples always look pinker on white cats also.

Let us know what happens, and thanks for taking her in! :)

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that a vet with a bit of wisdom wouldn't spay a possibly pregnant cat without even running an ultrasound scan.
So, unless she gives birth to her kittens before the scheduled day, I would ask the vet to check the inside of her belly with a simple scan, inexpensive and safe.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF she is preg, the pregnancy is about midways. Most would abstain from a spaying now, but if its your wish or necessity to spay anyway, medically isnt not dangerous, not with an experienced vet surgeon. Its unpleasant, but the kittens aren nowhere yet to be able to live for several weeks as yet. (arent "liable").
Unlike with human babies whom MAY survive already from halfway of the pregnancy, with good care.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you found out anything yet, or are you waiting it out? 😊