Is This Spay Incision Ok?

elizabd99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 mo old kitten who was spayed 6 days ago. I'm not sure if her incision is healing ok. I have another cat that she usually wrestles with so I've kept her isolated in my room. I make sure to play with her but she's got a lot of energy and has been really hyper.

I'm worried her incision is starting to come open since she's so hyper and is constantly trying to break out of my room.

The sutures are dissolvable, btw.
20190616_183247.jpg
20190616_183247.jpg

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! Have you asked your vet if you can text or email them those pictures? I am no expert but it looks a little red to me. My understanding is that the incision is closed in layers so it doesn't split open wide but it would be best to get the vet's opinion. Please keep us updated as this is a frequently seen topic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elizabd99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just following up. I sent those pics in to the vet, and they recommended I bring her in. I was able to get her in a few days later, and by then the redness had gone down a lot. The vet said everything was healing well and the redness was her body reacting to the internal sutures. They even cleared her to play with the other cat I have.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's a little open, tiny tiny, and maybe how they glued it, but not bad. I've had them come open worse than that and they have healed fine. As long as there is no active, red blood coming out, it is good. there can be a little clear fluid, which is normal. Licking usually is OK, I have never used a cone, it is more the stretching of jumping that opens them. It really looks quite good, and after a week should be on its way to healing well.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks okay to me. I don't use a collar either. The vets use layers of stitches internally. Just monitor for oozing and the incision site becoming red instead of pink. Your best bet would be to email or text a photo to the vet. They might have suggestions on how to treat for pain or itching.