Is this seroma? Post-spay incision lump/bulge

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 16-week old kitten who was spayed 3 days ago. The incision is intact, no visible bleeding, no pus. The kitten is active, eating well, urinating, and pooping. However, this morning, I noticed a very soft lump above her incision near her abdomen. It is very soft and the shape varies as she moves, so my guess is it is fluid. Is this seroma? She has post op checkup in 4 days but I’m not sure if I should rush her to ER now.

Attachments

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your vet clinic takes calls, it might be an idea to just check with them, but I believe as long as she is acting normal, the lump doesn't increase in size and remains soft, she should be ok to wait until her check up. How far from the incision site is it? And roughly size? Sometimes it is possible to feel the suture material from the muscle and subcutaneous layers, and the place where the vets tie it off often feels like a little, movable lump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your vet clinic takes calls, it might be an idea to just check with them, but I believe as long as she is acting normal, the lump doesn't increase in size and remains soft, she should be ok to wait until her check up. How far from the incision site is it? And roughly size? Sometimes it is possible to feel the suture material from the muscle and subcutaneous layers, and the place where the vets tie it off often feels like a little, movable lump.
The size of the lump is about 1.5 inches bulging down when she is standing. The location is about half inch above the incision.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think its safe to say not the stitching then! Probably best to contact your vet, to see if they think it best that you take her in for an early check up.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think its safe to say not the stitching then! Probably best to contact your vet, to see if they think it best that you take her in for an early check up.
Thank you for the reply! I sent some photos to my vet and he said it is normal. We will go to the vet as scheduled on Sunday. The bulge/lump seems smaller now.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My calico kitten is super active and playful. I had to keep her in the bathroom so she would not run around the house chasing our other kitten. For two days after surgery, we placed her in a cage. But she just became wild, jumping, and pushing herself out. We thought the stress being in a cage will do more harm than her being out of the cage running around the house. So we let her out for a few hours then placed her in a bathroom when we cannot physically be there to watch her. The soft lump above her incision got smaller. But yesterday, another hard/tender lump appeared right there at the incision. It is about an inch long right under the skin where the incision was made. Our kitten seems to be not in any pain since she is eating well, very playful, pooping normally. We will go to the vet tomorrow for her post op checkup. I worry that because she’s very active, there could be swelling or inflammation inside.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My calico kitten is super active and playful. I had to keep her in the bathroom so she would not run around the house chasing our other kitten. For two days after surgery, we placed her in a cage. But she just became wild, jumping, and pushing herself out. We thought the stress being in a cage will do more harm than her being out of the cage running around the house. So we let her out for a few hours then placed her in a bathroom when we cannot physically be there to watch her. The soft lump above her incision got smaller. But yesterday, another hard/tender lump appeared right there at the incision. It is about an inch long right under the skin where the incision was made. Our kitten seems to be not in any pain since she is eating well, very playful, pooping normally. We will go to the vet tomorrow for her post op checkup. I worry that because she’s very active, there could be swelling or inflammation inside.
Here are some photos. Do they look normal healing to you?

3ADF5A01-CDE7-4EF5-90EA-0E6AB612C3BA.jpeg
57D183FD-51C4-44A5-88C4-929200C4BE15.jpeg

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMO, that suture sight looks like it has healed great. But that doesn't mean she hasn't formed a hernia or anything underneath it. Glad she is going for a check up!

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMO, that suture sight looks like it has healed great. But that doesn't mean she hasn't formed a hernia or anything underneath it. Glad she is going for a check up!
Vet said it is completely normal to have a lump underneath the skin after surgery. This is a typical reaction of the muscle layer to the sutures as it dissolves. The incision is healing well but we need to still keep an eye to our playful kitten for another week then come back again for another post op checkup. Thank you all for your responses!!!

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I know this thread is old but my cat is going through something similar, did your cat end up healing? What was the bump? Thanks!
Yes, my cat healed in about 14 days after surgery. The bump is mostly blood/fluid or inflammation and disappeared eventually. This is because my cat is very active after surgery.