Is this rusting?

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty Khaleesi is turning 1 in a few weeks and I noticed over the past few months her fur getting more brown as she aged. Her mother was pointed (the foster said the mom was Siamese but Khaleesi looks more like a Ragdoll X) and oddly Khaleesi is only getting brown on her body...her tail, legs and head are staying jet black. It beautiful, and I was curious if it was just a rusting issue due to her licking herself or if it may be that as she aged she is becoming more pointed? It is hard to get a good picture of her color at the camera seems to make her a bit darker and less Cocoa colored...but here are some ones I snapped anyways. 

Yes she is VERY peeved in that last photo as the clicking of the camera woke her! As you can see, its not blotchy like most cats I see who are rusting and its not mainly on her lick paths either. Its just a subtle cocoa color on her body, but her points are still dark pure black. 

mrsmcfadden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Siamese body has gotten darker whereas her points r still darkest. I'm not sure the name of it. Also have a Ragdoll that will darken the older she gets

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know Meezers get lighter when they are warmer and darker when colder....so maybe as the weather is getting warmer the same is happening on the body of my girl? I don't know, its just beautiful

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She looks like a lovely black DSH ( I have a beautiful black boy myself), she doesn't look anything like my ragdoll cat as far as coat length or texture. Their fur doesn't feel the same either. 

View media item 139600

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a black DLH cat and his head, legs and tail are black but his body / trunk is rusty chocolate brown with reddish highlights in the sunlight. If Khaleesi (love the name!) sunbathes in the window she is probably rusting from sunlight. She does not look pointed to me at all.

My 'rusty' black cat's color looks similar to your Khaleesi's coat color, at least in sunlight. Personally I think it looks cool. :) Khaleesi is beautiful.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful Lynette, do you have any pictures of him as a kitten? I'm fostering some kittens and one of them is solid black and looks like he might be a long hair. But I'm not very experienced judging kitten coats. 

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Melesine

I only have pics from when he was 5 months old as that was when we adopted him (he got picked up by a feral TNR group as he had been living outside with his brother, mom and probable dad. And THEY only had him for a day before I saw his first pictures so I don' t have any any earlier photos than that).

But you usually tell a long hair by their tail. If the tail looks thicker and more like a feather duster and less sleek that's usually an indicator of a long haired cat.

Here's his five month old pics FWIW

Last edited:

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Post a picture of your black kitty! :)

I'm sure people can tell you if he's longhaired or not. Be sure to get a photo of his tail.

Also another possible indicator: does he have ear tufts or toe tufts (I.e long hair inbetween his toe pads sticking out)?

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your boy is so adorable! I love black cats and long hairs. That one pic his paw looks so huge I thought he might my polydactyl LOL. 

Here is the thread I started yesterday on my kittens, with pics of the black one.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/258393/my-foster-kittens-and-their-different-coats

I don't have any good pictures of his tail. Right now we are putting together a cat tree for the kittens so I'll see if I can get a good tail shot later. He has lynx tips, ear and toe tufts ( mom also has them along with a fluffy tail). They probably aren't even 8 weeks yet, all the kittens eyes are still blue. I took this one today of him lying on his short hair sister. 

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh he is SOOOO Cute! 

I can't quite tell if he's just got kitten fuzz or if he's a long hair. He's definitely fuzzier than the tabbier though. From the other pics posted your tortie looks like a long hair. The tabby is short hair. 
the black fella may be long haired as well but not as dramatic of a length (people sometimes call these medium hairs but technically you can only have short hair or long haired genes but there is variation within long hair coat lengths. Like a Persian would be at the extreme end of the long hair spectrum.).

Either way he is so adorable. My guess is he probably is long haired, esp. if he has lynx tips and toe tufts. I don't know if I have seen a short haired cat with toe tufts ever (though I am no expert on this. Most of my cats growing up were long haired, with the exception of a couple short haired, and they never had fuzz inbetween their toes. But all the long haired cats had them).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hm, well he coat is different which again is what made me think Ragdoll. The vet also suggested it after seeing her, her coat is "rabbit like" according to him. I just know it is VERY soft and has a entirely unique feel to it unlike any cat I have pet before. She is also medium hair I believe, or VERY plush short hair since I can sink my fingers into her fur and they disappear because it is so long. No fluffy tail though. I am thinking she isn't pointed either since observing her lately her brown is more around her chest and not so much anywhere else. Its definitely brown though, maybe rusting but it reminds me of pictures I have seen of Burmese cats like this one, not saying at ALL Khaleesi is Burmese since she has no other features of one, just her coat is similar. 

View media item 198499
Look, I am not looking to enter her into shows or call her super fancy or anything, I was in love with her when she was jet black, but she is not anymore and with all her other interesting features I just am curious if she might be part Ragdoll. I do not believe the woman who gave her to me knew the difference between pointed cats, she just told me the mom was pedigree with papers and said she was Siamese. However I am willing to bet the woman was mistaken, the mom was purebred something but NOT Siamese unless it was an applehead since Khaleesi has the least wedge shaped head I have ever seen. She is my little chubby cheeks, and also has a very short legged bulky body unlike meezers (I grew up with several Siamese so I know their type). 

Last edited by a moderator:

mureine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could not resist posting this picture of our Milady after seeing the pictures of your gorgeous guy - they are total TWINS! :D

When she was a baby, she was darker, with shorter hair of course but also with funny longer grey tufts everywhere as well. I remember when she was a teenager and her beautiful tail hair grew in, she was so proud of it :)