Is this possible?

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been reading all the articles (thank you!) they are very informative and I'll be keeping them as a reference. I've tried searching for this...so apologies if it's mentioned somewhere and I'm repeating a question.

We adopted Lili who's such a sweetie to us (well more to her cat dad than me but that's ok I still shower her with love)
When we adopted her she's been known to not like other animals. At the time we thought, ok we'll still take her in as we were living in a small apartment. Now that we moved into a large house we think maybe it will be nice to adopt another cat (a kitten to be specific)

So my big question is...is this possible with a very slow introduction? she picks fights with the other neighborhood kitties, so we actually enclosed the yard with a high fence so she can enjoy without pestering or fighting for territory. Or am I just doing wishful thinking?

Some thoughts or advice? or perhaps things I can prepare before I officially adopt ?

Thank you!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Two adult cats coming to live together and like one another isn’t a given but a slow introduction definitely increases the possibility. It also helps if the cats are younger. May I ask how old Lili is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lili is going to be 2 this September. She's a youngin ;) acts like a teenager too :D

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would it be possible that you could sign up with a shelter and try fostering? That way you would be able to change direction fairly quickly if need be :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part a two year old is flexible and playful enough to adjust to another cat and especially a kitten. They still need an introduction period but usually becomes friends fairly quickly. I suspect yours will be very happy to have a playmate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sensitivemuse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm thinking it's going to be a slow one for sure. From what I read in her past history she's been abandoned twice (first time, family moved and left her there, second time the owner had way too many pets and I'm thinking she wasn't introduced properly and found everybody a threat)

I've read up on Feliway- does this work and should I use this in the introduction phase should we decide to get a playfriend?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read up on Feliway- does this work and should I use this in the introduction phase should we decide to get a playfriend?
Not always, it had absolutely zero results for my boy, but often it does and some members swear by it :) You could also consider cat music, there's Spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicforCats.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two is kind of the age where you start to slowly get more chance of problems with age, but still generally a very good chance of actual friendship. Plus, I don't attribute much to the "not good with other animals" bit *especially* if its just neighborhood cats. Not liking other outside cats means literally nothing at all re: the chance of liking a kitten with a proper intro. Not liking other inside cats with a proper slow introduction, if it was recent, is more relevant. Based on what you think the history is, I don't give that much weight. I think your chance with a nice 3 week type intro (adjusting based on how its going) is pretty good. Get a young kitten, not a 5 or 6 month old, because you don't want the kitten to be perceived as an adult immediately after the intro period when they are still getting used to each other.