Is this play aggression?

Jefhrn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Solo, 2 1/2 year old neutered male joined our family 2 weeks ago, and we don’t have any other pets. He has started to jump me, swat at my legs and nip at me, but not anyone else in the house. We have been playing with him, providing toys, ample food and water and plenty of places to climb and scratch. He has found a couple of favorite hiding places too. When he does this, I stop interacting and leave the immediate area for a few minutes. But I will admit it is a bit unnerving, and I am a new cat owner so I’m not sure what to do next. He has been to the vet and has a clean bill of health. Any suggestions and insight would be welcomed

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, probably play aggression. Not unusual for a cat to do with only one person, and for it to start randomly. A little switch goes off in their heads for reason unknown, and they decide they have invented a new fun thing. Your strategy might work. I prefer a loud "no!" Either way, will take time to tell if it is going to work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jefhrn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like play aggression to me. I read that they way you can tell the difference between play and true aggression is the body language. If his ears are foreword and he looks interested before he pounces then it’s play, but if his ears are back and he looks annoyed/angry then it’s something else.