Is This Plant Dangerous For Cats?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me what kind of plant this is and if it’s dangerous for cats to be around? Thanks!

88251EC1-6CB2-428A-BFBE-773F0B6AFD6A.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is NOT a caladium, which have arrow shaped leaves, each of which arise on a separate stem from the ground.

The plant in the picture is a fittonia, or nerve plant. It is in the Acanthus family.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The image is of Fittonia. A plant family is an inclusive grouping. No idea if the Acanthaceae are all poisonous, some poisonous, none are poisonous. But a quick visit to Dr Google yields this information from the ASPCA:

Nerve Plant
Additional Common Names: Jewel Plant, Silver Nerve, Mosaic Plant, Silver Threads
Scientific Name: Fittonia verschaffeltii
Family: Acanthaceae
Toxicity: Non-Toxic to Dogs, Non-Toxic to Cats, Non-Toxic to Horses
Toxic Principles: Non-toxic

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
The image is of Fittonia. A plant family is an inclusive grouping. No idea if the Acanthaceae are all poisonous, some poisonous, none are poisonous. But a quick visit to Dr Google yields this information from the ASPCA:

Nerve Plant
Additional Common Names: Jewel Plant, Silver Nerve, Mosaic Plant, Silver Threads
Scientific Name: Fittonia verschaffeltii
Family: Acanthaceae
Toxicity: Non-Toxic to Dogs, Non-Toxic to Cats, Non-Toxic to Horses
Toxic Principles: Non-toxic
Oh wow thank you!

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad it’s not toxic for my cats. Someone brought it for me as a gift and it’s beautiful. I would feel bad if I had to give it away.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was gonna say, I think someone just posted about those, and I was thinking of getting one, so it must have been non-toxic. . .but I couldn't remember the name. Glad someone identified it! IIRC, it needs high humidity which is why I decided not to get one.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To increase humidity for a plant such as a fittonia - get a saucer somewhat wider than the diameter at the top of the pot and an inch or two deep. Fill saucer almost to rim with clean pebbles (something larger than aquarium gravel.) Keep water in the saucer below the top of the pebbles. The water will evaporate and improve the humidity in that area.

A more involved technique is especially good for ferns. Pot the fern in a clean, unglazed clay pot. Get another clay pot two inches wider in diameter. Place stones or marbles in the bottom of the larger pot so the rims of both pots are at the same height. Fill between the two pots with damp peat moss. Occasionally water the peat moss to keep it damp. Improves humidity and keeps the soil of the inner pot damp but not soggy.