Is this off-topic?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry to ask, but I don't know where to look up this kind of question.

This is not a genetics question - but I thought because of your speciality you might know the answer. What I've been wondering is - are there "domestic" type cats that are native to North America?

We rescued a Maine Coon stray, and reading up on the breed it stated that the Maine Coon is the only native domestic breed of long-hair cat. To me, that implies there were native domestic type short-hairs prior to their arrival when the Americas were "discovered". ??????

If this is too far afield, any thoughts on where to look for answers?

BTW - welcome to TCS!!! I know a number of people have been really looking forward to this forum. I hope you find the time you spend with us rewarding. I know those with questions really appreciate your taking the time.

elizabeth a.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lucky for you, I also taught a class on animal domestication for a few years!
The domestic cat's ancestor(s) are believed to be the African and, possibly, the European wild cats. So I think that "native domestic" means that the breed was developed in the US, not that it was domesticated in the Americas. Domestication for the cat occurred around 5,000 years ago, but then breeds were developed and are still being developed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. I was really hoping there was some type of "felis catus" native to North America (meaning prior to being brought over with either vikings or later europeans). Being a recently introduced species is going to make it a lot more difficult to prepare our defense of cats against the wildlife protectionists (who, by the way, have managed to get the AVA to review its current support of trap-neuter-return programs).

Sorry to divert discussion, but thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.