Is this normal?

GrimGrim

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I tried to change my cats food a few times through the year because she always seems to puke up dry food. I even tried digestion ones or hairball ones but nothing seems to work and she barfs up all of her food. I'm not really sure what to do now. She seems good with wet food. Should I give her wet food and sometimes hard food for her teeth or what?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There might be a problem with soy, peas, or grain which are more common in dry then wet. I'd compare the indgredient lists of the dry food she's had problems with and wet foods she hasn't to figure out what the difference is. Just so you can be aware to avoid that ingredient in general.

It could also be something to do with the shape of the kibble or format of kibble. I know there are humans with digestive issues that have trouble breaking down some food forms (either density or shape). So it could be a kitty version that kibble in general would be an issue because of the hardness or shape. It could also be just a simple, your cat eats dry too quickly but wet food isn't eaten as quickly.

But, if wet is working, feed wet. It's better for their overall health to be on an all wet or wet heavy diet.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I tried to change my cats food a few times through the year because she always seems to puke up dry food. I even tried digestion ones or hairball ones but nothing seems to work and she barfs up all of her food. I'm not really sure what to do now. She seems good with wet food. Should I give her wet food and sometimes hard food for her teeth or what?
Dry is not good for the teeth. Just like a human eating potato chips. Throwing up dry is usually from eating too fast.

Last edited:

Holistic Cat Mama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dry kibble is bad. Please refer to this wonderful Holistic Veterinarian's site for a plethora of info on kitty nutrition! catinfo.org

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would stick with the wet food or mostly wet food, if you're able to. If it helps you with costs, I think it's fine to supplement with dry food (meaning feed a little bit of dry food, but feed mostly wet, if possible). If you do continue to feed her some dry, you should try to find a dry food that she doesn't throw up, which may be more difficult. To answer your question, it is not normal for cats to vomit on a regular basis. They may throw up a hairball once in awhile, but it's better to use a preventative for that instead (like hairball gel). If you can manage to feed wet food for every meal though, I would just stick with feeding her the wet food that she doesn't vomit. Dry food doesn't really help with their teeth, that is sort of an old school thought that most vets don't agree with any longer. Wet food is better for their organs (especially kidneys) as cats in general don't tend to drink a lot of water on their own and as cats age they are more prone to kidney disease.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one site I use alot
Catfooddb,com to check for high protein.low carb,rarely feed fish
My cats like fancy feast classics turkey &giblets,d r elseys,weruva,tiki,nutro perfect portions,daves,wellness,and so much more! Hope something works out for you !:redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump: