Is this normal?

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For some reason I never 'registered' that my 14 yr old male black cat's body is fairly hard, almost like a dog's body... not sure why it never clicked before, or why it did click now, but it's been so long since I've had other cats that I can't remember! Thank you.

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can you post a picture?
I used to have a cat who was quite muscular - still cat shaped of course - but a little toughie!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For some reason I never 'registered' that my 14 yr old male black cat's body is fairly hard, almost like a dog's body... not sure why it never clicked before, or why it did click now, but it's been so long since I've had other cats that I can't remember! Thank you.
can you post a picture?
I used to have a cat who was quite muscular - still cat shaped of course - but a little toughie!!
can you post a picture?
9784.jpeg

- Well, there he is, tho' pic makes body look smaller (he's not fat) and silly face bigger. Probably Bombay DNA, but long ago (his face isn't esp. a BB's - he was a rescue. And he is soft when lying down, etc, but I kind of whacked him sideways (not hard - he ignored it) by accident and realized he didn't care. And I know the coat (short, blk but not necessarily shiny) gave some protection against me :).

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
handsome devil!
I would say his body is normal. My cat was especially muscular on the shoulder and hip areas. Is yours?

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not especially, but if he were a real guy and I was a kid again, I would definitely be chasing him! :lol:

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 391396

- Well, there he is, tho' pic makes body look smaller (he's not fat) and silly face bigger. Probably Bombay DNA, but long ago (his face isn't esp. a BB's - he was a rescue. And he is soft when lying down, etc, but I kind of whacked him sideways (not hard - he ignored it) by accident and realized he didn't care. And I know the coat (short, blk but not necessarily shiny) gave some protection against me :).
Handsome dude :thumbsup:

He doesn't look like a bombay at all, he's just a very healthy domestic shorthair. It's clear you've taken very good care of him.

Pantera is also very muscular compared to other cats around here; she's is frequently thought to be male because of her build. The wife and I have occasionally speculated about Pantera's DNA, given the absolute lack of info about her origin. It is known that there was a neighbor on the street we lived on at the time that had a pedigreed cat (no idea which breed though); perhaps Pantera was the result of some "Lady and the Tramp" accident / situation. She certainly has traits more in line with British shorthairs than Brazilian shorthairs: the body type, almost wooly fur, and aloof personality.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH... she's great! Looks a lot like the little black lady cat Ecco (E. felis) wanted to 'get with' next door, but she would run away (and he is fixed). He made friends with a couple of male cats on the street (while on a leash/harness) and is def. the man of the house - checks everyone out, takes care of any indoor 'wildlife', etc. and tells me when it's bedtime, but isn't mushy/snuggly. Found him at 5 mos. in a cage with mom and 2 sibs at a local no-kill in '07. Very healthy all around, but food oriented of course. Still jumps to the top of kitchen cabs on full moon nights, but will only play with toys once (maddening). Anyhow, If ever you (and her) are in the Can. Maritimes, feel free to visit :),

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OH... she's great! Looks a lot like the little black lady cat Ecco (E. felis) wanted to 'get with' next door, but she would run away (and he is fixed). He made friends with a couple of male cats on the street (while on a leash/harness) and is def. the man of the house - checks everyone out, takes care of any indoor 'wildlife', etc. and tells me when it's bedtime, but isn't mushy/snuggly. Found him at 5 mos. in a cage with mom and 2 sibs at a local no-kill in '07. Very healthy all around, but food oriented of course. Still jumps to the top of kitchen cabs on full moon nights, but will only play with toys once (maddening). Anyhow, If ever you (and her) are in the Can. Maritimes, feel free to visit :),
Would love to, but being Rio de Janeiro, Brasil it might take a while ;) Pantera would probably love it just for the weather: she does not like hot weather at all, she has a clear preference for cooler temperatures.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would love to, but being Rio de Janeiro, Brasil it might take a while ;) Pantera would probably love it just for the weather: she does not like hot weather at all, she has a clear preference for cooler temperatures.
Ha ha - it's been 90 F. here for a few days, so E. has been hiding in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. But I'd love to see Rio - still 'there' since seeing Black Orpheus long ago!