Is this normal for a cat who had a UTI?

hayleyshaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I recently just took my male cat to the vet for a urinary blockage he had and they had to put a catheter in him so it could help him pee. They said he was pretty easy to unblock and after being hospitalized in the vet for 2 days I was able to take him home since his blood tests came back excellent. But now though, his penis is incredibly red and inflamed and he keeps going to the litter box to pee every 5 seconds, sometimes it’s little drops and a couple times he was able to pee decent sized pees but there was blood mixed in. I just caught him licking himself and there was blood literally dripping from his penis and I have no idea if that’s normal right now and I won’t be able to take him to the vet tomorrow since all the vets around me are closed on sundays and I’m really freaking out about it right now. Somebody please help me ):

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

Can you try to find a vet clinic that has a 24-hour emergency number, so that you can talk with a live person? Try calling the vet clinics local to you, listen to their greeting and see if they provide a number. I don't know for certain if this is an emergency but hopefully you can find someone to speak with.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
But now though, his penis is incredibly red and inflamed and he keeps going to the litter box to pee every 5 seconds, sometimes it’s little drops and a couple times he was able to pee decent sized pees but there was blood mixed in. I just caught him licking himself and there was blood literally dripping from his penis and I have no idea if that’s normal right now and I won’t be able to take him to the vet tomorrow since all the vets around me are closed on sundays and I’m really freaking out about it right now. Somebody please help me ):
This is not normal. Please bring him in ASAP. Just as what the above posters mentioned, the cat is in pain if he can't pee and find an emergency vet near you.

After this ordeal, please let your cat drink as much water if you can and feed him only with wet food.

Do keep us updated.