Is this kittens rectum normal?

Mmarks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like it’s rectum is swollen, and it has two bits of poo stuck that I can’t get off. The kitten seems very upset whenever I try and clean her. I tried a butt bath and it helped a little bit but she’s squeals and becomes angry when I wipe her no matter how gentle I am. I can’t take her to the vet until Monday

Attachments

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Ouch! That does look swollen and the way the kitten is acting, it seems like it might be painful, too. You could try putting a dab of olive oil on the tender tissues, just as a pain reliever but otherwise I'd avoid any more rubbing or cleaning for now. Could she be constipated? My cat's bum looks a bit like that when he's backed up but it goes back to normal once he's been able to finally poop. If it still looks like that tomorrow, yeah, definitely take her to the vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The rectum looks a little distended to me in the pic, but I am not sure if it is the angle or not. It does not look dirty in the pic either. Can you take a soft washcloth and wet it in warm water and just hold it over the rectum to soften whatever is there? I would stop trying to scrub if that is what you are doing. The kitten may simply not like being handled back there, or there could be another issue but since you are going to get a vet appointment you can probably maintain this until Monday. Any other signs of illness or skin conditions?