Is This Kitten A Maine Coon?

Edleen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am trying to adopt a maine coon since I really like them and feel like thy would make a good first cat for me since they are "dog like" amount cats. This kitten is up for adoption but the shelter doesn't put a breed name on their animals. Does he look maine coonish? the pictures are bad I know. I can probably ask for more pictures from his foster mom. They have him as a domestic medium hair. (p.s. should I hold out and try to find a maine coon within the next month or should I just adopt a non maine coon? This has been a hard journey for me.
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 10.21.00 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 10.20.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 10.21.07 AM.png

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't say that the kitten is a Maine Coon but he might grow into a decent lookalike. The truth of the matter is you are unlikely to find anything but a lookalike in a shelter. Without pedigree papers there is no way a shelter could definitively say a cat is a particular breed (and any shelter that claims they can is lying). If you specifically want an actual purebred Maine Coon you will need to find a breeder.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with above.
If you want a dog like cat personality, look also inte the Siberians. More difficult to find than MCO, but but, you never know, you may be lucky.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He’s very cute! I don’t think he very much resembles a Maine Coon right now, as they have a more square head. Since he’s in foster care, if you can get pictures of his mom, you might have a better idea of what he will grow up to look like. It’s very hard to find purebred cats in shelters, so if you really want a certain personality, then a breeder is the way to go. Remember, though, all cats are individuals, even purebreds.