Is this just playing between adult cat and new kitten?

doublearon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an adult cat who is about 1.5 years old, and I just brought home a new kitten about a week ago. I finally let them meet today, and they are constantly chasing each other, but I am afraid the adult cat is being too rough for it to be playing. But I am no cat expert, so I really can't tell the difference.

-How do I attach videos? It if only allowing me to post pictures

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Welcome!!
One of our members has commented that you can trust the kitten. If it runs but then comes right back for more, things are good in their catly world and you don't need to intervene.

Be sure and feed your new baby multiple small canned meals throughout the day - kittens' tummies aren't large enough to hold a lot of food but they need a lot to support all the growth that's going on :). Have some kibble available too.

How to upload a video

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happens a lot with young adult cats and kittens. Because 1.5 y.o.s. are basically biggg kittens they can be crazy into play and not show much restraint. Sometimes in the middle of rough play the kitten will squeal, run, and hide for a bit. But as noted above, if they come right back and act like nothing happened, and even initiate play sometimes, that is telling you the kitten thinks its all good, and you can trust that. If you don't even have any sqealing or running away and hiding by the kitten? Then its all good!

If the kitten is crazy young, like under 8 weeks, there is a school of thought that maybe you have to be a little more cautious. I've still not read of an injury, but kittens that young are *tiny* and some of these young adults just don't do restraint AT ALL in their playing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doublearon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Welcome!!
One of our members has commented that you can trust the kitten. If it runs but then comes right back for more, things are good in their catly world and you don't need to intervene.

Be sure and feed your new baby multiple small canned meals throughout the day - kittens' tummies aren't large enough to hold a lot of food but they need a lot to support all the growth that's going on :). Have some kibble available too.

How to upload a video
So, I have to post a video on Instagram then upload it here? Or is there an easier way?
Thank you both for the info! Yes she (the kitten) is always going back for more and tries chasing him but he over powers her. I’m just afraid she just doesn’t know where to draw the line before she actually gets hurt is all. She squeals sometimes and he hissed a couple times but only whenever he’s eating (cat nip, meal, or snack)

I feed her twice a day and she seems fine with that and she doesn’t meow that she’s hungry (yet). I feed her a mix of kibble and wet food (Royal Canin Kitten)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't overfeed a kitten; they should be able to eat as much as they want, which requires more than 2 feedings because their stomachs are small and their metabolsm/needs big. Unlimited grazing is ideal, but if your worried about the adult, add a private feeding or two.

We get these questions a lot. Take/link your video, but I can pretty much guarranty its fine from what you've already said. I think youtube might be the easiest.

doublearon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can't overfeed a kitten; they should be able to eat as much as they want, which requires more than 2 feedings because their stomachs are small and their metabolsm/needs big. Unlimited grazing is ideal, but if your worried about the adult, add a private feeding or two.

We get these questions a lot. Take/link your video, but I can pretty much guarranty its fine from what you've already said. I think youtube might be the easiest.
Yes I was trying to schedule their feedings at the same time to get them more acquainted with each other and associate each other with good times (meal times) but now I will feed her 1-2 more times between the normal schedule. Thank you so much! I agree that they are just playing now because I’ve let them out for awhile now. It seems that the adult kitten is a bit possessive with things because he doesn’t like her playing with toys or scratching/kneading on anything. He pounces on her every time he sees her do it.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Welcome!!

How to upload a video
With all due respect to Furballsmom Furballsmom Please don't do kibble. Kibble poses only health risks and no benefits to cats. Not only is an extreme lack of moisture a problem, the ingredients in kibble and, for that matter, any pet food that's feed-grade rather than human-grade, are a problem. Any feed-grade pet food is going to have parts of diseased and euthanized animals, including euthanized cats and dogs riddled with cancer tumors (Is it any wonder why cancer is becoming a leading cause of death among cats and dogs today?), fillers, preservatives, and artificial vitamins and minerals, all of which have almost no benefit to cats and dogs.

Kibble turns rancid as soon as you open the bag.

Please research the work of Dr. Karen Becker, Dr. Judy Jasek, Dr. Julie Ann Lee, Rita Hogan, and Dr. Richard Pitcairn.

I'm not getting paid to promote anything; I've seen too many animals suffer a slow, painful death from the garbage food they've been on most of their lives. I'm not out to condemn anybody, but I want to encourage as many people as possible to educate themselves and prepare themselves prior to getting an animal so they can truly give that animal the best life possible.

Last edited:

doublearon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With all due respect to Furballsmom Furballsmom Please don't do kibble. Kibble poses only health risks and no benefits to cats. Not only is an extreme lack of moisture a problem, the ingredients in kibble and, for that matter, any pet food that's feed-grade rather than human-grade, are a problem. Any feed-grade pet food is going to have parts of diseased and euthanized animals, including euthanized cats and dogs riddled with cancer tumors (Is it any wonder why cancer is becoming a leading cause of death among cats and dogs today?), fillers, preservatives, and artificial vitamins and minerals, all of which have almost no benefit to cats and dogs.

Kibble turns rancid as soon as you open the bag.

Please research the work of Dr. Karen Becker, Dr. Judy Jasek, Dr. Julie Ann Lee, Rita Hogan, and Dr. Richard Pitcairn.

I'm not getting paid to promote anything; I've seen too many animals suffer a slow, painful death from the garbage food they've been on most of their lives. I'm not out to condemn anybody, but I want to encourage as many people as possible to educate themselves and prepare themselves prior to getting an animal so they can truly give that animal the best life possible.
Well, I can’t feed them nothing so what do you suggest I do otherwise?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old guy still gets fed 4 mini meals of 1.5 oz a day plus some dry food. He doesn’t eat all his wet food and eats 1/16th to 1/4 cup of dry food per day; depending on how much he likes his wet food that day. So yes though wet food is ideal you might go with mostly wet if you can’t do all wet (I couldn’t get my kitten off the dry food completely.) That said I have never heard of dry food going rancid, but your cat a fountain that is set up across the room from the food & I have known cats that lived 19-22 years eating mostly science diet (they got fancy feast in their geriatric years.) So if you buy a quality dry food, your kitties should be fine.

doublearon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kibble is fine, either moisten it with unseasoned broth, water or even KMR, (don't leave it out veryong, bacteria grow fast in kibble) and try some canned as well.
Yeah, I know. I’ve been doing that for both my resident cat and now the new kitten. I only said that because I wanted to hear their solution for what they perceive is an issue.

Thank you for all your help!