Is this home made recipe balanced?

snowy3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have been feeding my kitten home-made raw food by an online seller. The food contains the following but I'm not sure of the proportion:

Fresh Muscle meat
Fresh Liver
Fresh Heart
Chicken neck
Chicken head

I am told that I need not add in any more supplements. Is this true?

Looking at this guide here, it did mention to add in 2 secreting organs whereby heart is not one of them so the recipe above is missing 1 organ. At 0:53...

If so, I am thinking of adding this supplement mix/powder:

Any thoughts?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re missing a secreting organ, unless the chicken heads include brains, as well as sources of EPA + DHA, iodine, manganese, vitamin d, vitamin e, and zinc.
Unless you plan to supplement with whole foods, you’re best off adding Alnutrin for meat and bone to the raw you’re buying.

Here’s a resource on what you can add to the diet to substitute, instead of using Alnutrin, but this is only really doable if you’re feeding liver and another secreting organ, imo.

Whole Foods for Essential Nutrients

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's just a general vitamin / mineral supplement. It's not meant for raw pet food use. Kind of like a person popping a multivitamin daily while eating a poor diet and expecting to be totally fine and healthy. You're better of using a supplement made specifically for raw pet food such as the Alnutrin Maurey Maurey mentions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowy3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You’re missing a secreting organ, unless the chicken heads include brains, as well as sources of EPA + DHA, iodine, manganese, vitamin d, vitamin e, and zinc.
Unless you plan to supplement with whole foods, you’re best off adding Alnutrin for meat and bone to the raw you’re buying.

Here’s a resource on what you can add to the diet to substitute, instead of using Alnutrin, but this is only really doable if you’re feeding liver and another secreting organ, imo.

Whole Foods for Essential Nutrients
Sorry for the late reply. The seller got back to me that the chicken head contains the brains and everything as it is all grinded.

I am a bit puzzled as the seller insisted no further supplements is required...

Thank you for recommending Alnutrin. Unfortunately, they do not ship internationally to where I live and does not seem to be responding to my email...

What shall I feed my cat right now to compensate for the lack of nutrients? Anything that is more convenient until I try to get my hands on Alnutrin

That's just a general vitamin / mineral supplement. It's not meant for raw pet food use. Kind of like a person popping a multivitamin daily while eating a poor diet and expecting to be totally fine and healthy. You're better of using a supplement made specifically for raw pet food such as the Alnutrin Maurey Maurey mentions.
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the recommendation as well !

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for recommending Alnutrin. Unfortunately, they do not ship internationally to where I live and does not seem to be responding to my email...

What shall I feed my cat right now to compensate for the lack of nutrients? Anything that is more convenient until I try to get my hands on Alnutrin
Did you try Dr Pierson’s recipe using vitamins?
Making Cat Food
It uses human grade vitamins which should be easy to find everywhere.
I actually learned about Alnutrin later when I have already purchased all the vitamins from her recipe. I’m making homemade food using chicken meat, bone, liver and heart, with egg yolk. I’m not sure if adding chicken head would change the formula.

snowy3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you try Dr Pierson’s recipe using vitamins?
Making Cat Food
It uses human grade vitamins which should be easy to find everywhere.
I actually learned about Alnutrin later when I have already purchased all the vitamins from her recipe. I’m making homemade food using chicken meat, bone, liver and heart, with egg yolk. I’m not sure if adding chicken head would change the formula.
Thank you for the link!

So according to Lisa, I would need these vitamins/minerals?

(The recipe im using consist of beef muscle meat, beef liver, beef heart, chicken neck and chicken head)

1) 1 cup water
2) 2 eggs
3) 5000 – 10,000 mg fish oil
4) Vitamin E – 400 IU (268 mg)
5) Vitamin B-complex 50 – 1 capsule
6) 2,000 mg taurine (use powdered )
7) 1 tsp Morton Lite salt

Questions
1) The raw homemade diet (made by a seller) I am feeding contains both chicken liver and head (including brains) so is there any vitamins/minerals above I can remove?
2) The recipe for the homemade diet consist of beef muscle meat, beef liver, beef heart, chicken neck and chicken head all grinded up including the bones. As Lisa's recipe is only for chicken thighs/skin/bones while my seller's recipe contain more parts than that, what would over supplementation of vitamins/minerals cause?
3) Let's say I ditch the raw meat recipe by the seller and I do it mysef with just chicken thighs+skins but without bones as I do not have a grinder... Would using a bone meal powder be sufficient for long term?

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3) Let's say I ditch the raw meat recipe by the seller and I do it myself with just chicken thighs+skins but without bones as I do not have a grinder... Would using a bone meal powder be sufficient for long term?
I'm interested to hear responses to this too, as I also don't have a grinder.
I asked my local butcher if he had a grinder that could cope with bones, but he doesn't either. Sad times.

S snowy3 you say you can't get deliveries of Alnutrin because you're international, are you able to order items from Europe? If so then this Felini complete product might help. Although the link that I have used is from the UK, Zooplus have multiple centres around the world. Alternatively the product may be available from another company near you?

I have just found this, you may find a suitable alternative that will ship to you

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Alnutrin delivers worldwide, as far as I can tell. Shipping to Eastern Europe, where I am, isn’t too bad, either. Hopefully they get back to you. Have you looked into alternatives like EZComplete, TCFeline, etc? There’s also felini, as Loki mentioned.

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just reading up on EZComplete and was impressed with its ingredients list. Then I looked at shipping costs.

Wow!

Their 450g pouch would cost me £40 to buy plus an additional £18 to ship. That is super expensive. Sadly that put it right out of reach for me.

snowy3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alnutrin delivers worldwide, as far as I can tell. Shipping to Eastern Europe, where I am, isn’t too bad, either. Hopefully they get back to you. Have you looked into alternatives like EZComplete, TCFeline, etc? There’s also felini, as Loki mentioned.
I was just reading up on EZComplete and was impressed with its ingredients list. Then I looked at shipping costs.

Wow!

Their 450g pouch would cost me £40 to buy plus an additional £18 to ship. That is super expensive. Sadly that put it right out of reach for me.
Alnutrin finally got back to me. It would be an extra USD27 for shipping to my country *ouch*

Guess I'll just try supplementing with vitamins using Lisa Pierson's method

dhruska211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have been feeding my kitten home-made raw food by an online seller. The food contains the following but I'm not sure of the proportion:

Fresh Muscle meat
Fresh Liver
Fresh Heart
Chicken neck
Chicken head

I am told that I need not add in any more supplements. Is this true?

Looking at this guide here, it did mention to add in 2 secreting organs whereby heart is not one of them so the recipe above is missing 1 organ. At 0:53...

[/URL]

Any thoughts?
Hi I found the best recipe on feline-nutrition.org. No necks, head but the hearts are for the taurine. You can use powdered and my cats like better than the real deal. It's 5 lbs of chicken thighs , 7oz of chicken liver.....and I use the skin from about 5 pieces of the chicken. Plus you add calcium....I didn't like the idea of having any splinters from the meat grinder and if you can't find powdered calcium save egg shells - they are all calcium and pulverize. But again - No necks - just chicken thighs. I bought raw cat food from a pet store and it was red? They only used chicken liver and hearts? My cats wouldn't eat but again the web site is feline-nutrition.org