Is this Haws disease

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat today out of the blue has been having severe diarrhea. I don’t know the cause, but my cat was just at the vet days ago for a well checkup and was perfectly healthy. Now the third eyelids appear swollen on the sides and my cat is constantly rubbing his head on me and following me; something he never does. He is eating and trying to play but earlier in the day when the diarrhea started he was very lethargic. My cat is 7 years old. I was reading and it sounds exactly like Haws disease and read gastrointestinal illness can cause it temporarily. I’m hoping this could resolve on it own?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I firmly believe your cat should see a vet. Severe diarrhea can quickly dehydrate a cat. If he's still having loose stools today he needs to be seen. Others will chime in but that's my own personal opinion.

Good luck to you and your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I firmly believe your cat should see a vet. Severe diarrhea can quickly dehydrate a cat. If he's still having loose stools today he needs to be seen. Others will chime in but that's my own personal opinion.

Good luck to you and your cat.
I had someone help me with money to bring him in. Good news is vets couldn’t find anything wrong other than the slight swelling of the third eyelid. His stools today were almost normal, he is eating normally too. No temperature or any other sign of illness and he isn’t dehydrated. Vet thinks it’s either viral which will go away on its own, or food change I didn’t realize could upset his stomach. They sent a stool sample to test for parasites.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You did the right thing and I hope that your cat is on the road to recovery.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you took him in! You absolutely did the right thing and your cat is very lucky to have you. And thank you for updating us. So many people don't.

:catrub:

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I know it’s a late reply but how long did it take for the haws to go back to normal? Did your vet give you anything for the eyes?

My cat’s eyes started looking like that last week when she had some soft stools. I have already gone to the vet who gave her a dose of dewormers. The stools are back to normal now.
I’m also told that her eyes will go back to normal in a few weeks but I just want to know how long it would take and will it get worse before it gets better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I know it’s a late reply but how long did it take for the haws to go back to normal? Did your vet give you anything for the eyes?

My cat’s eyes started looking like that last week when she had some soft stools. I have already gone to the vet who gave her a dose of dewormers. The stools are back to normal now.
I’m also told that her eyes will go back to normal in a few weeks but I just want to know how long it would take and will it get worse before it gets better.
Hi!

So my cats stools showed no worms and I was given nothing to treat my cat. It took a good month for his eyes to go back to normal. I did put him on probiotics for a month and that might be why he improved, but I have yet to find out what caused him to get sick in the first place.
Another possibility my vet said is infection in his stomach, but I am guessing even with probiotics if this was the case wouldn’t he still be sick without treatment it’s been 3 months?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

So my cats stools showed no worms and I was given nothing to treat my cat. It took a good month for his eyes to go back to normal. I did put him on probiotics for a month and that might be why he improved, but I have yet to find out what caused him to get sick in the first place.
Another possibility my vet said is infection in his stomach, but I am guessing even with probiotics if this was the case wouldn’t he still be sick without treatment it’s been 3 months?
Yeah same. It puzzles me too since my cat is strictly indoors and only 2 people live in my house. She didn’t have bad diarrhea, just softer poop than usual and wasn’t acting sickly. The vet suggested probiotics if I wanted but I decided to wait until her eyes go back to normal first.
Thanks for responding :)

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

What kind of probiotics did you give him? Was it in pill or powdered form? I just bought a gel tube and my cat ran from me the moment they smelled it 😓