Is this good wet food for a kitten?

Safamirza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello 👋 this is my first post on this site :)

this post isn’t for me, it’s for a friend of mine who just got a 2 month and 1 week old male kitten named Kodi. (Not sure what breed he is.)

she bought this wet cat food for him. (Pic below) is this good enough for a kitten? If it is, are there better options for next time? She also feeds him dry food but I don’t know which one she feeds him. How much dry food can/should a kitten eat everyday, and how much wet food?

Thanks to anyone who replies :) ❤
8963BCA1-F6F7-4681-BF06-CD372E385E22.jpeg
04013DA6-37D0-4AC2-9F86-74EF63AE8119.jpeg

this post isn’t for me, it’s for a friend of mine who just got a 2 month and 1 week old male kitten named Kodi. (Not sure what breed he is.)

she bought this wet cat food for him. (Pic below) is this good enough for a kitten? If it is, are there better options for next time? She also feeds him dry food but I don’t know which one she feeds him. How much dry food can/should a kitten eat everyday, and how much wet food?

Thanks to anyone who replies :) ❤
8963BCA1-F6F7-4681-BF06-CD372E385E22.jpeg
04013DA6-37D0-4AC2-9F86-74EF63AE8119.jpeg
I think this is the ingredient list:
793253C1-CB0E-4CC1-8398-68ADFDFA087E.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, and welcome!
Thank you so much for helping your friend and the kitten - yes this food is acceptable. If you have it available, Whiskas has wet kitten food which might be better until he's about a year old.

A good approach would be to fed several small meals (3-4) throughout the day if possible since his stomach is still not that big to be able hold a lot of food at one time, and give him as much as he wants to eat. You may be able to decrease the amount of meals when he's about six months old, but still make sure he is getting as much as he wants to eat.

Kittens need quite a bit of food so that their growing bodies get all the nutrition to support that growth. Leave out some kibble for him to eat when he wants to as well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are bottomless pits so the rule is to feed as much as the kitten wants to eat daily. Kittens eat a ton of food and need all of it to grow. Those Perfect Portions aren't going to fill up a kitten's tummy. Your friend would probably have to feed 2 or more of those containers for each meal plus have a bowl of dry food available. It's better to feed cans of food than those teeny containers. There are brands of kitten food that are available in 3 oz and 5 oz cans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Safamirza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and welcome!
Thank you so much for helping your friend and the kitten - yes this food is acceptable. If you have it available, Whiskas has wet kitten food which might be better until he's about a year old.

A good approach would be to fed several small meals (3-4) throughout the day if possible since his stomach is still not that big to be able hold a lot of food at one time, and give him as much as he wants to eat. You may be able to decrease the amount of meals when he's about six months old, but still make sure he is getting as much as he wants to eat.

Kittens need quite a bit of food so that their growing bodies get all the nutrition to support that growth. Leave out some kibble for him to eat when he wants to as well.
Thank you for your reply! I sent her a screenshot of it :) ❤

Safamirza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens are bottomless pits so the rule is to feed as much as the kitten wants to eat daily. Kittens eat a ton of food and need all of it to grow. Those Perfect Portions aren't going to fill up a kitten's tummy. Your friend would probably have to feed 2 or more of those containers for each meal plus have a bowl of dry food available. It's better to feed cans of food than those teeny containers. There are brands of kitten food that are available in 3 oz and 5 oz cans.
I will let her know this info, thank you so much! 💕

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thanks to anyone who replies :) ❤View attachment 425934View attachment 425935

I think this is the ingredient list: View attachment 425937
There will be people who disagree with me, and that's fine, but I'm passionate about natural health for dogs and cats so I feel led to say something about it now. I had to watch my Dad's senior cat suffer a slow, painful death from cancer due to long-term consumption of garbage cat food (Whiskas is no better). The saying is true: What goes in must come out.

I would encourage your friend to ditch the dry food. Dry food causes many health issues and no benefits for cats. If you want, I can go into more detail about this.

Any cat food that's not human-grade is also really bad for cats. Feed-grade cat foods (like the one your friend currently feeds) contain a plethora of harmful ingredients, such as parts of diseased animals and even euthanized animals, such as animals that died riddled with cancer tumors. I'm not making this stuff up. Go research Dr. Karen Becker, Dr. Judy Jasek, Dr. Julie Ann Lee, Dr. Richard Pitcairn, and Rita Hogan, among others.

Even human-grade canned food has its own problems, but it's better than kibble or feed-grade canned food. I would encourage your friend to consider switching to human-grade canned food or, better yet, human-grade raw food.

I'm still researching the best options for raw food, but so far the brands I'd recommend for human-grade canned food are Nature's Logic and Tiki Cat, and Raw Dog Food Co. (which also has raw meals for cats) for human-grade raw.

Safamirza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not know that! I will be sure to let her know of this. Thank you! But the kitten FOR SURE does not need dry food right now? (Yk, because he’s little and I thought he needed both dry and wet for growth.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would feed the kitten both dry and canned food. That helps with cost since kittens eat a ton. Unless your friend has an endless supply of money and can afford to buy cases of canned food often. It's good for kittens to learn the different types of food available, too. If only dry food is available during an emergency situation, a cat who doesn't recognize what dry food is may just starve. Your friend can switch to only canned food or mostly canned food when the kitten is around a year old.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did not know that! I will be sure to let her know of this. Thank you! But the kitten FOR SURE does not need dry food right now? (Yk, because he’s little and I thought he needed both dry and wet for growth.)
He absolutely does NOT need dry food for optimal growth and health. The brands I mentioned provide a completely balanced diet in their wet form, but raw food is better. More nutrients, vitamins, and minerals can be absorbed from raw food than from cooked food, which means less waste and less risk of nutritional deficiencies. Less waste= less food needed to be satisfied. Be warned, there is a right way and a wrong way to prepare raw food. The holistic vets I recommended will get your friend off to a good start.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutrition is a hot topic and everyone has their own opinion on what to feed. Ultimately it's the OP's friend's decision on what to feed. If dry food has to be fed to a growing kitten in addition to canned food, that's perfectly fine :agree: Not everyone can or wants to feed raw or home cooked and feeding only canned to a growing kitten may be be cost prohibitive to some people. Here are some TCS articles that the OP can pass along to the friend to help with deciding on what to feed:

How To Choose The Best Dry Cat Food? – TheCatSite Articles
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food? – TheCatSite Articles
Grain-free Cat Food – What Does It Mean? – TheCatSite Articles
How To Choose The Right Food For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Choosing The Right Food For Your Cat – Part 2 – TheCatSite Articles
The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition – TheCatSite Articles
What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat? – TheCatSite Articles

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Nutrition is a hot topic and everyone has their own opinion on what to feed. Ultimately it's the OP's friend's decision on what to feed. If dry food has to be fed to a growing kitten in addition to canned food, that's perfectly fine :agree: Not everyone can or wants to feed raw or home cooked and feeding only canned to a growing kitten may be be cost prohibitive to some people.
:yeah: The best food for your cat is one that they thrive on, will actually eat and that you can afford. That's different for every cat.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
What LTS2 and Abbysmom said :)
Cat nutrition can cause quite a bit of debate and so can become confusing.

I would certainly recommend some wet food, as your friend is doing; they don't 'need' both. Dry can be a good back-up though.
Also reiterating that there are foods specifically for kittens, and that's a good way to go.