Is This Gingivitis?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ktea1993

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with H Peters here, that with the red line there I would give brushing a miss for a few days. The red line suggests your cat's gums are inflamed and painful and the brushing will be very painful at this point.
Better using an enzyme tooth paste you can let your cat lick from your finger or smear on his lips to lick off them - that way bacteria in his mouth will still be reduced and plaque prevented from building up but it won't hurt him.
Then if the redness doesn't subside arrange a visit to the vet to see what they think.
The teeth can look fine above the gum but the roots starting to have problems with some cats and this is what my cat is prone to. He had red lines around his gums from around 6 months and had a dental routine from 9 months which helps to keep the inflammation mostly under control.
Hey quick question, how much do toothpaste do you use? I’m starting to think that in addition to her brush being too stiff I may’ve used too much toothpaste and it really irritated her gum line. I kind of just use enough to cover the brush and go back for more if it smears off. I think maybe that’s too much? She has an appointment on the 12th just to check it out granted it’s not cleared up by then.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't need to be too much. Just a flat line down the brush. I never go back for more. I brush his teeth every other day.