Is this fat % considered high for wet?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 11 yr old boy is too set in his ways of eating so I don't think I can fully switch him over to wet. I currently feed him pate (rawz, pure vita, wellness chicken) mixed with dry (tiki cat, waiting on dr elsey restock), and just recently saw on catfoodDB that my preferred pate for him, Rawz, is rather high in fat compared to protein. For example, the turkey and turkey liver pate is 54% protein and 42% fat on dry matter basis. I'm trying to avoid carb/starches/most gums as best I can, but not sure if it's better to aim for low fat no matter the ingredients? He doesn't eat shreds/morsels, and at the moment I'm not able to get a blender to blend those foods into pate.

Is this a big issue I should watch out for? Or feeding a good wet food + high protein dry will be ok to offset the fat content? He's a perfectly healthy boy who gets regular check ups, I'm just being a helicopter parent :lol:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you balance the calorie intake, he doesn’t have weight issues, and he’s not having any gastric issues on it, the higher fat content is fine, imo. Jum doesn’t handle high fat diets super well, so I keep her fat intake closer to 10, maybe 15%.
With your boy starting to get up in years, might be better that he’s used to high fat wet food, as many older cats have trouble keeping weight on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as you balance the calorie intake, he doesn’t have weight issues, and he’s not having any gastric issues on it, the higher fat content is fine, imo. Jum doesn’t handle high fat diets super well, so I keep her fat intake closer to 10, maybe 15%.
With your boy starting to get up in years, might be better that he’s used to high fat wet food, as many older cats have trouble keeping weight on.
Yes I watch the calories more than anything and measure things out in grams. The vet says for his size, he's currently at his best weight range, so I'm not trying to change much. It's good to know fat is good for older kitties! The dry that's mixed in is lower in fat but high in protein, so hopefully it balances all out. Thank you for your reply!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 5 years old tomcat does not tolerate high protein wet food because of his gastritis.
The low protein but 6% fat pate was ok from a gastrointestinal point of view but caused gallbladder problems, eventually cured.

I carefully watch him - he will "tell" me if something is wrong. Not an easy guess :-).