Is this emergent?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I've tried to do research & talk to my vet but things with corvid19 are making it hard. A little back story: My cat Sammy was born in my bath tub. He's never been without me for long. He does have separation anxiety and since I work from home... yeah. he's used to me being with him 24/7. Or if I'm not, my mom is. He's a momma's boy for sure and words cannot express how deeply I love this cat. He was born from a stray we found and took in and he's just been my best friend since day 1 (seriously his momma didn't wanna momma, so I had to do a LOT for him.)

I recently discovered what I thought was a lump (I posted about this when I asked about adams apples in cats, if anyone was on that thread -- i created this one because I didn't want to confuse anyone) when I feel it, it isn't rock hard, but it isn't soft and squishy either. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like a muscle. I can feel around it, like around the top and sides. My initial thought, because of the 'small thumb' like shape it seems to have is that maybe it's a swollen lymph node. Of course,the paranoid side of me is worried that it's cancer.

I lost a cat and dog both in February. Because of this, I'm having a really hard time trusting my gut and instincts lately.

About Sammy:
- Eating just fine.
- Eating as many treats as he's allowed to have.
- Peeing/using the litter box normally.
- Nose is off and on dry/warm & cold/wet
- Gums look pink and healthy
- Sleeping normally. He does not appear to be lethargic and sleeps quite comfortably.
- Semi active, which is normal for him. He was running around the house the other night with Jasper and then a bit this morning when Mia decided to try and make him play with her.
- His gums are white.
- He is grooming himself.
- Has no problem jumping to the very top of the cat tree to sleep.
- Does not appear to be in any pain, will let me touch the lump until he's annoyed that i'm bothering him.
- No personality changes.
- His coat is in good condition

Things to note:
- He was having hairball/hacking issues that seem to be flea related as they have since stopped after having treated him with flea medication & hairball gel.
- We noticed him scratching again and since it's been a month since his dose, I'm wondering if the fleas could possibly cause an allergic reaction in him that cause the lymph nodes to swell?
- The lump appears to be moveable & and is not visible.
- I believe I felt this a few weeks ago but I honestly thought I might have been imagining it, it could have very well been back before he was given his first dose of flea medication and then I don't think I noticed it again until now, and he has been itching a bit (which is why we gave him that new dose today)
- This past month we started giving him salmon oil in his food

He is absolutely not in distress (unless you count him being utterly annoyed that I'm hovering over him.)

My situation though:
- His carrier broke, so we need to order him a new one.
- The vets aren't letting us in, which means if I bring him to the vet now i'm potentially going to be giving him an anxiety attack.

Your thoughts: Is this emergent? Should I rush him to the vet or should I try and wait to see if the lump gets bigger/if he shows symptoms? Thank you all in advance for any answers you give... It has not been a good year for me in terms of constant worrying

This is a picture of him taken only a few moments ago:

1593734643926.png

Last edited:

Tkfellows

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've tried to do research & talk to my vet but things with corvid19 are making it hard. A little back story: My cat Sammy was born in my bath tub. He's never been without me for long. He does have separation anxiety and since I work from home... yeah. he's used to me being with him 24/7. Or if I'm not, my mom is. He's a momma's boy for sure and words cannot express how deeply I love this cat. He was born from a stray we found and took in and he's just been my best friend since day 1 (seriously his momma didn't wanna momma, so I had to do a LOT for him.)

I recently discovered what I thought was a lump (I posted about this when I asked about adams apples in cats, if anyone was on that thread -- i created this one because I didn't want to confuse anyone) when I feel it, it isn't rock hard, but it isn't soft and squishy either. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like a muscle. I can feel around it, like around the top and sides. My initial thought, because of the 'small thumb' like shape it seems to have is that maybe it's a swollen lymph node. Of course,the paranoid side of me is worried that it's cancer.

I lost a cat and dog both in February. Because of this, I'm having a really hard time trusting my gut and instincts lately.

About Sammy:
- Eating just fine.
- Eating as many treats as he's allowed to have.
- Peeing/using the litter box normally.
- Nose is off and on dry/warm & cold/wet
- Gums look pink and healthy
- Sleeping normally. He does not appear to be lethargic and sleeps quite comfortably.
- Semi active, which is normal for him. He was running around the house the other night with Jasper and then a bit this morning when Mia decided to try and make him play with her.
- His gums are white.
- He is grooming himself.
- Has no problem jumping to the very top of the cat tree to sleep.
- Does not appear to be in any pain, will let me touch the lump until he's annoyed that i'm bothering him.
- No personality changes.
- His coat is in good condition

Things to note:
- He was having hairball/hacking issues that seem to be flea related as they have since stopped after having treated him with flea medication & hairball gel.
- We noticed him scratching again and since it's been a month since his dose, I'm wondering if the fleas could possibly cause an allergic reaction in him that cause the lymph nodes to swell?
- The lump appears to be moveable & and is not visible.
- I believe I felt this a few weeks ago but I honestly thought I might have been imagining it, it could have very well been back before he was given his first dose of flea medication and then I don't think I noticed it again until now, and he has been itching a bit (which is why we gave him that new dose today)
- This past month we started giving him salmon oil in his food

He is absolutely not in distress (unless you count him being utterly annoyed that I'm hovering over him.)

My situation though:
- His carrier broke, so we need to order him a new one.
- The vets aren't letting us in, which means if I bring him to the vet now i'm potentially going to be giving him an anxiety attack.

Your thoughts: Is this emergent? Should I rush him to the vet or should I try and wait to see if the lump gets bigger/if he shows symptoms? Thank you all in advance for any answers you give... It has not been a good year for me in terms of constant worrying

This is a picture of him taken only a few moments ago:

View attachment 341463
This is not in my mind an emergency. I would make it a priority to get it checked as soon as you can, even if it is a month or 2. The sooner he is diagnosed the sooner any needed treatment can be given and better prognosis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
- His gums are white.
Just wanted to update: His gums ARE NOT white. I meant to add the 'not' forgetting I'd already mentioned his gums. They are pink & healthy!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think because he is doing so well otherwise, just keep an eye on the 'lump' on his neck. Try to check it daily or at least every other day - and, each time you do, make a mental note of the size or even write down a brief description of how you think it feels and its size. This way you have a baseline to work with/compare, to ensure it is not getting any larger. If it stays pretty much the same, then it is something to mention to the vet when you are able to go with Sammy for an appointment.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. I think because he is doing so well otherwise, just keep an eye on the 'lump' on his neck. Try to check it daily or at least every other day - and, each time you do, make a mental note of the size or even write down a brief description of how you think it feels and its size. This way you have a baseline to work with/compare, to ensure it is not getting any larger. If it stays pretty much the same, then it is something to mention to the vet when you are able to go with Sammy for an appointment.
I felt this morning again and it DOES feel like maybe it's gone down in size. My mother felt and thinks so, too. I'm going to continue checking it but will otherwise leave it alone for today just in case my messing with it is irritating him.

He seems more lively today, was running around the house earlier with Mia & Jasper and just acting silly in general, snuggling with me, etc. Basically being his normal self. He wasn't lethargic yesterday but he was a little quieter than usual.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do understand about handing a cat over to the vet in the parking lot during this time. None of my cats have actually been to the vet, although the dog has, and will not go unless it is an emergency as it is so stressful for them. I agree with watching the lump and reacting if it appears to become larger or other symptoms appear.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I do understand about handing a cat over to the vet in the parking lot during this time. None of my cats have actually been to the vet, although the dog has, and will not go unless it is an emergency as it is so stressful for them. I agree with watching the lump and reacting if it appears to become larger or other symptoms appear.
I trust our vet. He's amazing. We had to take Jasper and Mia both to the vet during this but Sam's just a different story. I'm afraid he would panic without me in the room with him =/

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update:

The lump is still in Sammy's neck, however I no longer feel it when I run against his neck. It feels like the length is the same but the mass has gone down. I had my mother feel and she believes it has gone down, too. I'm fairly sure it has, because it felt VERY large for awhile and now it feels like it's flattened a bit (not flat but like, you know, lost 'weight' to it I guess? I don't know how to describe it.)

He's also been fairly active the past few days, played with the laser, the kittens, good appetite, etc. I'm still watching it, but I'm thinking maybe it's a swollen lymph node from a cold maybe?

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
NEW UPDATE!

So for the week I've been trying to do my best and stay calm & try not to over react because I know I tend to do that where Sammy is concerned. He's my heart. I love ALL of my cats but I'd be lying if I said I'd be absolutely lost without Sammy. He's been my constant companion for 6 years, never leaving my side.

That said, I thought maybe I was imagining it getting smaller and then today happened.

I felt his neck and...

IT'S PRACTICALLY NOT THERE ANYMORE!!!!!

I can still feel a -small- hint of it, but yeah. It's pretty much GONE. It took all week but it went down slowly then suddenly pretty fast. I burst out in happy tears when I didn't feel it

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Several years ago, I took my kitty to the vet for a cyst like thing on his back. The vet told me it was normal and that it would go away on its own. If it didn't we'd have to go back for tests or to drain it. Sure enough it went away in about a week. I forgot what she called it, but said it was similar to an inflamed lymph node on humans.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Several years ago, I took my kitty to the vet for a cyst like thing on his back. The vet told me it was normal and that it would go away on its own. If it didn't we'd have to go back for tests or to drain it. Sure enough it went away in about a week. I forgot what she called it, but said it was similar to an inflamed lymph node on humans.
Yeah a friend of mine had originally suggested it was probably a cyst!