Is this cat pregnant or nursing?

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sister has a been feeding a few ferals, and she’s worried that this female, 6 months old or less, might be pregnant or nursing. Can anyone tell by the nipples?
Also, does anyone have any idea what that might be on this poor kitty’s stomach? My sister says it appears to just be mud and debris, but it looks alarming to me. She says there is no sign of swelling or infection.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with your sister that it looks like mud and debris on her tummy. Whether or not she's pregnant or nursing I can't tell, but it' very possible if she's feral. Are you sure she's feral though? It seems odd that she's letting someone hold her (or even get close) Maybe she's a stray and was spayed already?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzannef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Mrs GJ! You’re right, she’s probably not quite feral, but is definitely a stray and not spayed. She’s part of a clowder that hangs out in my sister’s neighborhood. This one is friendly enough to accept pets, I guess. This girl and her brother were kittens when K (my sister) started feeding them a few months ago, so she has a pretty good idea of her age. K has been trying to save $ to get her spayed. She just noticed the cat’s nipples seemed enlarged, and wondered if I (the cat expert in our family) could tell anything from that. But I don’t know much about pregnant cats, so thought I’d check here. Thanks again!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those nipples look to me like she's nursing. They are pretty big. By all means, try to get that dirt and debris off her. Wash her tummy if you can.