Is This Cat Enclosure Safe Enough?

fdfurmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're wanting to build an enclosure for our cats and we have a question about the fencing to use. We have a few rolls of 2"x4" welded wire left over from another project. Are these openings too big or are they safe enough? We don't want the cats to be able to squeeze out through them.

I found a picture on Google of an enclosure that was built using the kind of fencing I'm referring to. Do you think it looks safe enough? Or should we also install chicken wire over this fencing for added precaution?

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat shouldn't be able to squeeze through a 2x4, but what wildlife is in your area that might be able to squeeze inside? I wouldn't worry about unless you are planning to leave food in the enclosure. Looks safe for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fdfurmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A cat shouldn't be able to squeeze through a 2x4, but what wildlife is in your area that might be able to squeeze inside? I wouldn't worry about unless you are planning to leave food in the enclosure. Looks safe for cats.
We have raccoons, opossum and coyotes that I know of. They will get fed first thing in the morning and then about an hour later, I will gather all of the bowls and remove them to be cleaned for the next day's feeding. No food will be left in there for longer than that and I stay home so I'll be able to keep an eye on them.

The majority of our cats are hefty; ranging from about 8/9# to about 13#. But a few are smaller and hover around 6/7# with lean frames. Think the 2"x4" will still be safe?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm feeding one backyard feral who is 7.5 lbs. She wouldn't be able to get through a 2" x 4" mesh. I guess it's possible that a smaller cat might gets its head through and possibly get stuck, but I think it's unlikely to happen. I do think you're plan is safe. If you're uncomfortable with it after it's built, you can always line it with chicken wire later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fdfurmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm feeding one backyard feral who is 7.5 lbs. She wouldn't be able to get through a 2" x 4" mesh. I guess it's possible that a smaller cat might gets its head through and possibly get stuck, but I think it's unlikely to happen. I do think you're plan is safe. If you're uncomfortable with it after it's built, you can always line it with chicken wire later.
Thanks!!